• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WHY DONT YOU RUN!!!!

countryboy

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have looked every where on this site and i cant figure it out,i blew the head gasket on my 90 XJ (4.0 of coarse) it ran perfict pre gasket change,just over heated blew coolant yadda yadda.so i do the gasket swap head tested and re surfaced put everything back to spek thanks to chilltons.it has only fired once since then and it was barley a fire,it ran for about half a second then died!i have replaced cap rotor ballice restrictor plugs wires icant figure it out,i have racked every ones brains that i know and no one can figure it out,i did have a small fuel injector leak from number 1 but im putting six new injectors on in tommorw.any input ideas?posibly anything i mite have dont wrong?

exacttly,at first it didnt have spark when it cranked,hence cap rotar plugs and wires.and aside from that and the small leak i had i cant figure it out.

Also, if you had to pull the distributor for whatever reason, you may have put it in a couple teeth off (one tooth off would still try to run - just not well, but consistently) or you got it in backwards (rotor 180* off.) Dig out your Chilton's and verify rotor position vis-a-vis the #1 piston and valves. Or the #1 piston and the timing mark on the harmonic damper.

I would think more about the old problem itself. Did it start before the gasket replacement? possible that you could have flooded it? if so, remove spark plugs and crank engine. This will push all excess fuel out of the cylinders through the spark plug hole. make sure all wires are correct. To me, it sounds like you still have moisture in the cylinders and or excess of fuel. Good luck and keep us posted

i re read and noticed it was firing before gasket install. that leaky injector could be the problem if fuel is leaking into the cylinder aka flooded. try my method to (un-flood) it.

First thing to do (always) is check for spark. Pull wire off plug, insert spark plug into wire, hold plug to block, have accomplice crank motor.

Second thing is to pull plugs and check condition. (If first thing checks out good.)

If you have spark then its fuel. Make sure all of the injector wires are on the correct injector, If only a couple are mixed up it will run rough or not at all.

Make sure you reinstalled the ground from the head to the firewall.

Make sure distributor is on compression stroke and indexed correctly.

Check your plugs to make sure they aren't wet fouled.

Put a charger on your battery. A low battery can crank the engine fine but not have enough voltage to get the electronics working (common in cold weather)

Make sure you reinstalled the ground from the head to the firewall.

Make sure distributor is on compression stroke and indexed correctly.

Check your plugs to make sure they aren't wet fouled.

Put a charger on your battery. A low battery can crank the engine fine but not have enough voltage to get the electronics working (common in cold weather)

old man has got some good points. the ground wire from the head to the firewall could def be the culprit!

Back