• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 cyl XJ/MJ performance radiator?

zluster

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone make a radiator for the 4cyl MJs that is 2 or 3 core?

All I have found is single core, AL/plastic end tanks. The 4 cylinder radiator sits much further back and might be much better for clearing an intercooler.

Is your MJ/XJ a 4 or 6 cyl.? I have both 4 & 6 cyl, Cherokees. The 4 Cyl. radiator sits back further because the engine is shorter.
If you are putting a turbo on a 4 cyl., I don't know if there are better radiators.
If you want more clearance for an intercooler on a 6 cyl. by using the 4 cyl. radiator position, it won't fit.
Hope this helps.

and for a 4cyl comanche they only offer a plastic tank single row option.

Bingo......seems like all the rads I have found are just single row.

Honestly a Al/plastic rad would be fine with me, if it were a 2 row.

It looks like the TJ radiators are dimensionally very similar, I might be able to adapt one of those.

Course for the same price I could probably get an all Aluminum radiator that is 2 or 3 row and is dimensionally similar.

Ah. I missed that the 4-cyl rads were plastic tanks. The core thickness they list seems awfully thin too. Is the front grill that different from the 6-cyl? I'm just wondering if it would be actually easier to swap in a 6-cyl radiator.

I'm fairly certain that CJ YJ and TJ radiators can swap over... go to the junkyard for a quick comparison! I might do that in a couple days anyways... My friend (and source for parts) has a dissassembled CJ-7, and even though it was a while ago (memory not so great), I'm pretty sure when we compared the radiator from it with the 2.5 XJ I got parts from, that they were identical.

good luck, if anything.

Ah. I missed that the 4-cyl rads were plastic tanks. The core thickness they list seems awfully thin too. Is the front grill that different from the 6-cyl? I'm just wondering if it would be actually easier to swap in a 6-cyl radiator.

The 6cyl radiator will just bolt in, but once again the problem is my space concern for an intercooler, the 4cyl radiator sits quite a bit further back.

I'm fairly certain that CJ YJ and TJ radiators can swap over... go to the junkyard for a quick comparison! I might do that in a couple days anyways... My friend (and source for parts) has a dissassembled CJ-7, and even though it was a while ago (memory not so great), I'm pretty sure when we compared the radiator from it with the 2.5 XJ I got parts from, that they were identical.

good luck, if anything.

No YJs/CJs in junkyards here. :(

The 6cyl radiator will just bolt in, but once again the problem is my space concern for an intercooler, the 4cyl radiator sits quite a bit further back.

No YJs/CJs in junkyards here. :(

Yeah, none here either...

I'm not sure about the bolt-in thing? Maybe if you take the mounts too...

Wow! That will be super cool. But generate quite a bit of heat. Sounds like you need a custom all aluminum radiator.

There are plenty of generic, all aluminium, 2 core radiators out there, and I am sure I could make one work. I was just really hoping I could find a nice bolt-in solution. I have so many other things to fabricate and make happen that getting as many boltin parts as I can makes life easier.

Back