• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new 35s and 7-8" lift, reeealy bad pinion angle haha

emr1101

NAXJA Forum User
please flame me on this pinion angle...

n1400910184_30063147_6454.jpg

n1400910184_30063149_8616.jpg

n1400910184_30063151_822.jpg

Forgot to paint the cover... oh well, nothing some sand paper and rustoleum wont fix.
n1400910184_30063155_2814.jpg

n1400910184_30063156_3891.jpg

n1400910184_30063163_1165.jpg

I'll flame you on your control arms. Seriously, it doesn't look like you have much adjustment left and the front tires are "sucked" in. You might want to get that worked out. Then you can attempt the pinion angle.

With that much lift, the pinion will never be perfect without screwing up your caster. You'll have to find a happy medium.

I'll flame you on your control arms. Seriously, it doesn't look like you have much adjustment left and the front tires are "sucked" in. You might want to get that worked out. Then you can attempt the pinion angle.

With that much lift, the pinion will never be perfect without screwing up your caster. You'll have to find a happy medium.

They are all the way extended, to correct for my pinion angle i will need to tighten them, so they will have MORE thread contact, not less. I dont know what you mean by sucked in though

Get adjustable upper control arms so you can adjust the pinion. That way you wont have to pull the axle back by shortening the lowers. I believe thats what he means about sucked in, the axle is already back a little from center of the wheelwell.

yeah you are prob right, but i dont think it will make much of a difference? ill look into it but thats a lotta extra money and complicates it even more.

I wish i had day pics but for now just some nighttime poser pics, id like to get it flexed out.

pinion angle looks fine to me, but then again im not a rock guy. you should take it down here to florida and run some mud, would do pretty good.

Pinion "angle" has nothing to do with being a rock guy. It has to do with being a correcting vibration and worn seals/bearings guy.

Honestly I don't see a problem with lift height but if you wan't a quick, cheap, and easy way to correct the issues, I'd bring it down to about 6-6.5" I personaly wouldn't go lower than that IMO.

Last edited:
I'm not going to flame you.....However, I would start by saying you should adjust your lower control arms in until your pinion angle is straight, they're out way too far. Put your angle finder on top of your knuckles and try to get between 0*-6* Neg degrees caster. Your pinion angle is more important than the caster.

If you have to shim the rear...Just make sure you buy steel shims like Rubicon Express. The aluminums are total shit and will leave you stranded for sure.

i had to strike a happy medium with my 6.5" clayton kit.
i got the caster to 5 degrees, but the pinion is a LITTLE low, then again i have my own caster/camber gauge and adjustable uppers too.
will have to do it all again when i get the klune v in there though, so not too worried.
for the rear, it was shit when i got it, but after ditching the 6.5" leafs, getting 4" alcans, re boomerangs and the shackle relocation, its perfect...go figure.
OP how does it drive? have you had the caster checked?
martin

emr1101 how come you went with a 8" lift and 35's and not 7.5" or 6.5"? Im going to be running 35's here soon and cant decide weather to go with a 6.5" 7.5" or a 8" lift.

Back