• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

???Clockspring issue????

JeepCherokeeGuy99

NAXJA Forum User
So ever since i got my 97 xj sport it had a tough time pushing the turn signal up and down. i would kinda have to force it. well a couple weeks ago i pushed it down a little too hard apparently because i hear a "pop" noise. now when i put the turn signal on and finish the turn it does not want to go off by its self. Basically ive been having to manually use my blinkers. I'm thinkin its the clockspring. but before i spend $150 on that, does anyone else have an idea on what it may be? thanks again

-Nick

Hallo. There are 2 tiny springs in the steering column under the wheel. ( left and right spring!)
When a spring is broken, the switch will not come back to his old position.
On my '92 it was not so difficult to take out the steeringwheel and use a springplate compressure. It was a easy job, but with an airbag, it is a difference!:wave:
On the link you can see pic #9 The tiny springs on the picture:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=939364

'92 XJ

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with my 98, it was the turn signal switch assembly. The clock spring is an entirely different assembly.

hmmm alright i check the assembly.

I had a similar issue with my 98, it was the turn signal switch assembly. The clock spring is an entirely different assembly.

Is the turn signal switch assembly replacement a DIY project? I need to get this done and don't know if the steering wheel with airbag needs to come off.

Thanks

Is the turn signal switch assembly replacement a DIY project? I need to get this done and don't know if the steering wheel with airbag needs to come off.

Thanks

Replacing the turn signal switch is really easy. Takes about 5 minutes to get the switch off, may take a little longer to put the trim pieces back on though.

On a '97+, all you do is undo the bolts under the plastic steering column cover, then you will be able to see the turn signal switch assembly, and the screws holding that on. Undo those, and pull the switch out, then replace. Reassemble.

Back