• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock Install

md11fan

NAXJA Forum User
Well a couple of days ago i installed my new Bilstein 5150 shocks to all 4 corners, and to my dismay, something isn't right. The rear install went as planned with a couple holes cut in my floor but oh well. The front went on after, but i had to order some shock adapters from RJR offroading. I have heard allot about how much of a pain it is to install some 5150 with the JKS adapters, but the RJR adapters fit perfect! Now down to some business, i finished off the front end with some BPE and took it for a test drive. The front immediately made allot of noise after going over any bump, pothole, etc... When i got back home i wanted to find out what was wrong so i check all my bolts and everything checked out everything. I Just did not fell right about the way i installed the shock adapter.

Now when i took my old D3000 shock it unbolted like this...

nut
washer
rubber thing
wheel well
rubber thing
washer
shock

But when i installed my 5150 i installed them like this...

nut
washer
rubber thing
wheel well
shock adapter

I shock adapter bolt was only big enough to fit one rubber thing, and even with that it was a only a few threads until i could not tighten the nut any further. Now does my problem lie in the way i installed my shocks or do i have bigger problems to worry about.

-John :anon:

I used JKS shock adapters with my RS5000's and they make noise(they are tight against the wheel well, trust me). The bushings that came with my shocks didn't fit the bar of the adapters very well, oh well, it works.

sounds like he used some rjr offroad adapters instead of the jks adapters?

k i dont know what he means, i could not find them on their website.

my jks use no bushings, just them and a big nut.

what? you dont use washers or isolators on the JKS mounts, just the huge locknut. unless im mis-reading what youre saying.

That might be were my problem is, I was trying to transfer as many parts as i could off my old shocks so that it would be same as my old setup, but i guess it dosent work like that. thanks for the clarification.

now its time to do it the right way! lol

Well it turns out that they are Warrior Shock adapters from the RJR offroad sight. http://www.rjroffroad.com/warrior-shock-conversion-mounts-with-hardware-offroad-pr-16680.html

-Sorry for the confusion.
hmm. the jks ones you get rid of everything and just stick the stud through and tighten the huge nut. those studs on those warrior ones look way too small, you must have to use some bushing/washer combo. crappy. maybe install like a stock stud shock with a bushing and washer on top?

even then that thing is going to move around and make sick noise. might make more sense with a longer stud and setup just like the stock stud. theres nothing to keep it centered from moving around in the big hole? somethings not right

Last edited:
Looks to me like you just bolt them up good and tight using only the supplied nut and fender washer. The original "rubber thingys" are essentially being replaced by the rubber bushing in the shock eye.

Back