• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting plastics

The Lure Washer

NAXJA Forum User
Ive used Krylon Fusion for painting fiberglass fishing rods and the stuff is awesome but for painting plastics what needs to be done to the materials surface. Obviously a good cleaning to remove oils and dirt, but what do I need to use to "etch" the surface for new paint?

Bump.

I use a 3M pad and then rag it off with Acetone. You have to be careful with the Acetone, to much rubbing and you will leave lint embedded in the plastic. I hit it quick and just wipe one direction. It seems to tack most plastics and resins a little and seems to makes a better bond.
Depending on what your painting and how much, a flexible primer can save grief.

I've always just followed the instructions on the can.

Old plastic: Be sure surface is clean and free of grease, oil, wax etc. Wipe down with ammonia, let dry, spray

New plastic: Clean blah, blah, blah. Wipe down with mineral spirits (paint thinner) Let dry and spray.

All the plastic I've painted has held up great for years now. I even painted two 16' fiberglass canoes with Krylon Fusion and they look great.

Back