• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Turbo Dyno results

turboYJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I have been working on this project for a little while with a good buddy of mine. Its not a XJ or MJ but it is 4.0. By buddy Dave that worked on this with me turbo'd his XJ and is still working out some auto tranny woes. My results came out good.
Specs: 1995 YJ 4.0 with 186k AX-15 tranny
Turbo - T3/T04E with a 50 trim
3in turbo back exhaust-custom made
38mm external wastegate
Fuel was handled with a 14:1 FMU and a in-line boost pump.
its on 35's with 4.56's

PICT0011.jpg

DSCF0026-2.jpg

FMU is a ebay special. fuel options are kinda limited. you can do a booster bump bigger injectors and a stand alone fuel management. cost some serious money though. I built this entire kit for under $600 bucks

Any videos you can post up? That would be way cool to see.

Sweet clean setup and you can still see the engine. Way to go. Torque max out at 2500 then runs flat. Any neck or back problems from being snapped? How many Tangs has he eaten for breakfast? Max boost at what RPM Please?

Last edited:
Sweet clean setup and you can still see the engine. Way to go. Torque max out at 2500 then runs flat. Any neck or back problems from being snapped? How many Tangs has he eaten for breakfast? Max boost at what RPM Please?

Gonna need a lot more than 202rwhp to eat a "tang", unless he's only hunting 2.3L variety.

Back problems for other reasons... but he is doing alright.

The thing is nicely built and nice clean fab work done as well.

The first pic is a video just click on it.

How much boost was that with? I am not sure what the apex would be as far as boost would go, but he could likely get more power than that.

6-6.5psi

I think these motors can only take like 8 psi max without blowing. That what I have been reading anyway.

6-6.5psi

I think these motors can only take like 8 psi max without blowing. That what I have been reading anyway.

it can take for than 8. some of the supercharger kits are 10-12 psi. after i do water/meth if i wanted to i could raise the boost, but 6psi gives my a good blend or power and great gas milage. plus with water/meth and 6psi i wil me making more power

Last edited:
Sick man. That's one tough ass torque curve. Should strap on an IC setup and dip into the 300's :)

Ya if he wants a "street" jeep

Max boost of any available blower kit is 8.5psi... thats all they reccomend. I dont think it will handle more unless you change the headgasket at the very least

Is that a wheel dyno?The curve is just about as stock,but the numbers are pretty nice though.Ive personally have never understood this kind of mod on a 4x4 rig.The XJ performs perfectly for what it was designed for.On top of this would there be any "actual" perfomance issues(turbo lag) when used on the trail.

Is that a wheel dyno?The curve is just about as stock,but the numbers are pretty nice though.Ive personally have never understood this kind of mod on a 4x4 rig.The XJ performs perfectly for what it was designed for.On top of this would there be any "actual" perfomance issues(turbo lag) when used on the trail.

there isnt really any lag in this system, but for offroading it doesnt really make sense imho... His gas mileage alone is worth the mod though. he got a couple mpg on the highway I believe.

For some reason I keep picturing the jeep against a rock and trying to bump it up and over and the thing just lunges forward with boost or just sits and spins.

Can't wait to go wheeling again to see this thing

like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1qG6SKkkjA

Last edited:
there isnt really any lag in this system, but for offroading it doesnt really make sense imho...

C'mon man, what about the sand or mud guys ? Or just the freakin' mountain roads to get to the rocks? More power(and mpg) = more better. :)

the turbo is sized really well for the 4.0. it spools VERY quickly. in 4low there is more of a load on the motor, so it will build boost quickly. the type of driving i do and more crawling too im easy on the gas pedal.

Or just the freakin' mountain roads to get to the rocks? More power(and mpg) = more better. :)

Agreed. Hauling ass between wheeling locations is a good enough reason IMO.

thanks for sharing, very cool :thumbup:. How is ignition timing handled or is it stock? What octane fuel is he running?

Back