• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just got my 8.8 today!!

squidd

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, just drove down to auburn this morning and picked up my ford 8.8 axle. Can't wait until I can get started preping it for bracket installation and get it under my jeep. I will have to get some pictures up once I get started. 4.10's, disk brakes, and a LS its like christmas!!:clap:

Hey, nice meeting you too John, thanks again for all the leg work finding one for me.

Things are progressing on the project. Just picked up a Flange adapter from Drivelines NW, a second passenger soft line and all the misc. fluids and paints. Should get the time this sunday to start cutting brackets off. Give me somthing to do while the rest of the nation is watching the Super Bowl....

hey,

Got to spend a couple hours working on the swap this morning. Here are some pics of the project.

AXLE001.jpg

AXLE003.jpg

AXLE005.jpg

AXLE008.jpg

AXLE010.jpg

AXLE013.jpg

Anyhow, still have some brake line bending to work out and the welding. But things are progressing nicely.:D

Hey, update. Going to stuff her under this Saturday. Got all the painting done, rotors turned and all the hardware ready to go. Will post some pics soon.

Hey looks good. I am very jealous. Is that what an LS looks like in one of those? I am not a Ford guy and don't know much about the 8.8's. All the aftermarket LS's seem to look much different. I see spider and side gears and an S shaped "spring" in there. Is that it or am I missing something?
Seems so simple.
P.S. I like simple!:loveu:
Tim

Yeah, thats the LS. The driver side of the carrier holds the clutch packs and plates some of which are splined to the carrier others to the axle shaft. Sping pressure allows some of the torque to transfer even when there one tire is spinning with no traction.

Hey looks good. I am very jealous. Is that what an LS looks like in one of those? I am not a Ford guy and don't know much about the 8.8's. All the aftermarket LS's seem to look much different. I see spider and side gears and an S shaped "spring" in there. Is that it or am I missing something?
Seems so simple.
P.S. I like simple!:loveu:
Tim
doesnt look like ford t lok to me compared to my mustang 8.8 ones whats it out of?personally 9" are nice with the removable carrier

Yeah, thats the LS. The driver side of the carrier holds the clutch packs and plates some of which are splined to the carrier others to the axle shaft. Sping pressure allows some of the torque to transfer even when there one tire is spinning with no traction.

Cool, I know a locker is better but that still sounds like a good set up to me. I currently have a locker in front and open rear. Was like that when I bought it. I'm torn because it seems like these axles have a cheaper intro price and disks, etc. than a xj 44 with the same lug pattern. I probably won't change my setup till I get a new cherokee to put everything under anyway. I have to regear anything I p/u cause I'm running 4.56's now.

Cool, I know a locker is better but that still sounds like a good set up to me. I currently have a locker in front and open rear. Was like that when I bought it. I'm torn because it seems like these axles have a cheaper intro price and disks, etc. than a xj 44 with the same lug pattern. I probably won't change my setup till I get a new cherokee to put everything under anyway. I have to regear anything I p/u cause I'm running 4.56's now.
what ford are these out of with the same pattern as jeep? sn95 or newer mustang?im at over 300ftlbs of torque on my 5.0 mustang with a stock 8.8 t lok not a problem ever and its old, its the original 86 8.8 first year of the 8.8 too in the stangs at least.rear disc brakes would be nice!! on both my rigs!

what ford are these out of with the same pattern as jeep? sn95 or newer mustang?im at over 300ftlbs of torque on my 5.0 mustang with a stock 8.8 t lok not a problem ever and its old, its the original 86 8.8 first year of the 8.8 too in the stangs at least.rear disc brakes would be nice!! on both my rigs!
Like I said before I'm no expert but I assume it's an Explorer 8.8 not sure what year but if you check out the faq pages on axles there will be alot of info on the 8.8's.

Like I said before I'm no expert but I assume it's an Explorer 8.8 not sure what year but if you check out the faq pages on axles there will be alot of info on the 8.8's.
the lug pattern fits a xj? or the axle splines?
yea explorers have those with discs on some.cool deal though.
everyone seems to hate ford these days but for sure they made a few good things! the 8.8 and the 9" is nearly bulletproof and the carrier swaps out:p and the 5.0 efi motor is a low rpm torque monster even stock.makes me wanna go for a drive to let off some steam:)
so ive never done gears how are you matching em with your front diff?

Installed it last night!!:cheers:

Everything went smoother than expected. No major problems putting it in less finding out that my upper drive line yoke is starting to bind against itself from my drive line angle. It was doing this before because this explains the funny thudding noise under decel from that area. 4.10's area great! Drives like a sports car and no hunting on the freeway. No new vibes either, so I must have got the angles pretty close. Here are some pics.
AXLEPIC1.jpg

AXLEPIC3.jpg

AXLEPIC4.jpg

AXLEPIC5.jpg

AXLEPIC6.jpg

And there she sits. Much beefier looking and I gained a bunch of ground clearance with the shock mounts moved. With the alcans I never compressed enough to use the upper 4" or so anyway.
As to matching the front gears, now the quest begins to find a 4cyl in pull a parts with a D30 and 4.10's. Till then I am 2WD

Its a ford explorer 8.8, I think a late 90's. From what I read 95' and newer have the 31 spline shafts and disk brakes. Same lug pattern as a jeep and within 3/4 of an inch as our axle width.

Back