• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cb radio tuning issues.

Hubbazoot

NAXJA Forum User
So I got a new cb antenna, it was reading about 1.7. I hooked it up to a ground and now I'm reading a 3.5 or so. Would having the ground wire coiled around the coax cable cause this issue? Think anyone could help me troubleshoot this maybe Thursday night? Help.

What brand of antenna ? Any close up pics of the mounting bracket ?

An SWR of 1.7 is good enough. On the Wilson antennas the gorunding wire is optional and only used if needed.

The antenna is a wilson 4' whip. I'm using a diesel electronics magnetic base. see photo. That red wire is my ground wire. I disconnected it real quick just to test the SWR. It's still reading around a 3.5
cbantenna010.jpg

Mag bases do not use a ground wire.

Does it have a tuning tip under the plastic tip ? Have you made any SWR adjustments ? Make sure the little wire is not touching the metal of the mag base and retest the SWR.

Last edited:
You will not need that ground wire on the Wilson Flex, I just installed one on my Jeep and with the ground it reads 3+ and without its 2.0, I also removed the tunable tip which then got me down to .5, thats the best SWR I have ever achieved on a CB.

Alright I got it tuned. Bad wire in the coax going to the cb, also ripped out the ground wire that wasn't connected on the ground side anyway. It's at about 1.2 on channel 19

Last edited:
Back