• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 and driveshaft are hitting the exhaust.

alex22

NAXJA Forum User
Here's what I have. 96, 5speed, sye, slip yoke DS, stock looking exhaust, and 4 inches of lift.

When I first did the swap the drive shaft rubbed on the muffler a little when going over bumps in the road. I removed the DS and used a 4 pound hammer to dent the muffler. It was good for a long time and now it is hitting the drive shaft on the muffler in another spot, the flange adapter is hitting the pipe and the flat spot ontop of the pumpkin is hitting the ex hanger.
The rubber hanger in the back near the gas tank is still in one piece.
The exhaust needs to be replaced from the downpipe back needs to be replaced.

What catback setups are small enough to not cause the same rubbing issues that the stock one is?

I'm running the dynomax tail pipe with the dynomax ultraflow Ss muffler. IIRC the muffler is center in---right out. (it could be left out). I have a good amount of space between everything.

You might want to look into different muffler combos. The muffler did not come in a catback "kit". I bought them separate.

I'm not sure what hanger could be hitting the pumpkin. Is it stock?

hey i got a question i have a AW4 tranny and im doing the 8.8 swap will my driveshaft hook up to the 8.8?

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=982025
here is a related thread that might help you.
There are two different flanges that came on the 8.8's for two different size ujoints [1310 and 1330's iirc]. If you do a search you will be able to find out how to determine which one you have and what part number flange to run.

Back to the exhaust topic.

The area circled in red in this picture shows the flat spot that one of the exhaust hangers is contacting.
There is a Chrysler emblem stamped into the muffler so I think its an OEM replacement.
ford88d35together09500og7.jpg

I had to get a new muffler and it still hits, so I am going to hit it with a hammer as stated above

When I put on my flowmaster it rubbed on the DS, leafsprings, ect. I took a torch and a pry bar to the hangers to tweek em just enough to clear.

Back to the exhaust topic.

The area circled in red in this picture shows the flat spot that one of the exhaust hangers is contacting.
There is a Chrysler emblem stamped into the muffler so I think its an OEM replacement.
ford88d35together09500og7.jpg

Easy fix. Trim some of that gusset off of the housing. I removed mine with the sawzaw and a little help from an angle grinder. It will not hurt anything. Only go as deep as needed.

Edit: Mine's removed within the three holes.

Last edited:
Back