• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

throttle body spacer ??

efilnikufecin

NAXJA Forum User
i just installed a homemade throttle body spacer.just wondering of those who bought them did they come with spacers to raise the throttle linkage bracket?i've seen a couple of pictures of the airaid one,it looked like it included a couple of smaller spacers.are these spacers needed?

My airraid tb spacer came with aditional spacers to lift the throttle and cruise control cable bracket. Needed? I dont know if its totally nessecary but it keeps the cables in line with the TB,maybe keeps them from binding. Shouldnt be too hard to make.

efilnikufecin said:
i've seen a couple of pictures of the airaid one,it looked like it included a couple of smaller spacers.are these spacers needed?

Yes, the three spacers that raise the throttle cable/cruise cable bracket are absolutely essential.

they are litterally just a section of tubing if you will that is aabout the size of the fastener that is holding the linkage to the manifold.

so in theory you could jsut get a longer fastener, with the same dia. and thread of course. and i do knwo that ive seen like a 3/8 ID x 1" spacer avalable at hard ware stores and im sure theyll have the right size for you.

correct you all are the jeep shifted kinda lazy without the spacers on the throttle bracket,must be the tb cable gets a little out of wack.put the spacers in and everythings back to normal.thanks

Sorry for bringing up this old thread, but i was searching around and found this.

It appears that the suggustions above (i could be wrong) are for a 91+... what would i need to do to the linkage on a RENIX?

I had someone make me a 1" spacer and the only hiccup is of course making the linkage 1" longer. Some time back, when Steve was around (xjarmor) he offered linkage with his tb spacers:
http://www.xj-armor.com/tb_spacer.htm
(its funny the links to his site still work)

Anyway, i was searching to see if i could just make one myself or get some other ideas of what i could do...

Any suggestions? thanks for your time.

Does the spacer really make any differance? I am just curious, i have seen them all over the place but never knew weather or not they were any good. Do they help fuel economy at all?

Its make a whistleing noise on mine.. thats it.

88RIxj said:
Does the spacer really make any differance? I am just curious, i have seen them all over the place but never knew weather or not they were any good. Do they help fuel economy at all?

Its not worth putting on if you have to buy it aftermarket.. I think they go from anywhere between 100-125. Not worth it IMO. They "claim" to add more hp / torque.. but that doesnt seem to be the case from reading most peoples feedback on the subject. It does add plenum volume, but not much. If you already have the HO head then i can see how the gains would be minimal. If your running the older RENIX head, then i can see the gains being a little more.. that might make the purchase a little more justifyable. It should also give you a bigger increase if you have a bored TB. Since im installing a bored TB, and the spacer at the same time, i cant really comment from personal experience what the gains are with the spacer alone.

Bottom line IMO is that if you can make it yourself, or have someone make one for like 30 bucks at the MOST then get it. If you have money to blow and want to spend 100+ bucks for one then go for it.. just dont be suprised if you dont gain much out of it.

90exjay said:
I figured that, look at the pic it has the extension in the image.

Sean

I saw that but it does not look like that would work at all. It looks like what you would get with the HO spacer...
With the RENIX, it has a "teeter-totter" set up for the TB linkage and the accelerator cable. I think its different with the HO like i stated above. Even if that spacer thing was somehow used, i would think it would throw everything else off ie the accelerator cable, and the cable for cruise if you had cruise. (I wonder if rusty's has actually sold one of those??)

I went to the junkyard this weekend and picked up another linkage from a RENIX set-up. I took it into the shop here at work, and had the guys cut it and extend it by 1"... it looks like it will work... here is a pic from my phone (since im at work its all i have right now)

2n8a9zc.jpg

34qpo5j.jpg

It needs to be cleaned up, but you get the idea... and i think its going to work out fine.
Let me know if you want better pics .. i can get them when i get home.

The idea with spacers came from carburated days, when a little more space to atomize the fuel wasnt a bad thing.

With a fuel injection engine all it does is waste space under your hood.

The "design" is from carburated engines .. yes... but the application HAS moved into MPFI. (mostly because the marketers out there make you think your going to improve gas mileage this way.. NOT!) That doesnt mean it will work as intended however.
The only reason im installing one is to compliment my custom mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust and the 61MM bored RENIX TB i just acquired. Im trying to increase the volume of air that the engine sucks in. This will happen with a spacer, but its not going to increase by much. I dont expect to see any real gains from it either... but that is also why i recommended to not buy one from a manufacturer. Make one or find one for under $30 bucks. Either way, the money is pretty much a waste for minimal to no gain.

Last edited:
AHAHAHA, i got a spacer for free today and i could feel it binding up. I never put those bracket extensions on, it did shift very lazily and my throttle stuck some.

I've tried spacers on a '93 and on a '98. I noticed some extra power and extra mileage on the '93. On the '98 I noticed some extra power and slightly worse mileage. If plenum volume doesn't affect fuel-injected vehicles, why did Jeep redesign the intake manifold for a lot more plenum volume in 1999?

xj92 said:
I've tried spacers on a '93 and on a '98. I noticed some extra power and extra mileage on the '93. On the '98 I noticed some extra power and slightly worse mileage. If plenum volume doesn't affect fuel-injected vehicles, why did Jeep redesign the intake manifold for a lot more plenum volume in 1999?
I dont think plenum volume was ever brought up except by me, and i know it does effect FI vehicles. The fact was brought up however that it wont help automize the fuel.

Anyway, the whole reason why this thread was brought back to life was because i was fitting one on my Jeep, and i didnt know exactly how to go about making a longer throttle linkage since i have a RENIX.
I created a whole write up about the scenario in the thread below:
http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=62

I lost my spacers for my Airraid TBS. I drove it w/out and it definately shifted funny... I actually bounced off the rev-limiter in 1st before it would shift into 2nd lol. Which makes sense cause it essentially stretches out your linkage which would cause some problems. I fixed it with a stack of washers :D

Back