• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 radiator

Ritter4.0

NAXJA Forum User
On my xj (1990 5spd 4.0), where the hood latches there is a little oval shape. Through it you can see a number on top of the radiator. I am wondering if this is normal, cause my dads 96 xj does not have a number. The reason I am wondering is because mine has a tranny cooler in it, its not used but I dont think a manual tranny came stock with a tranny cooler. Also I have a black header panel with a red jeep. Do you think it was in an accident before (deer/tree)?

I don't know. I have a 90, 5 speed, 4.0, and I will look tomorrow and reply.--too dark now.

:eyes:

You got me curious!

Ok, looked at mine, can't see any number through the hole, and my radiator has no provision for transmission lines that I can see. However, quick check of online parts sites shows most replacement radiators fit ALL transmissions.

Also, header is black, my XJ is red.

:eyes:

Could have been in an accident which would explain header. Radiator could have been replaced. Radiator Barn makes no mention of Auto or Manual in the replacement radiator search, so it's likely that all the "1990 Cherokee 4.0L" radiators were the same.

https://www.radiatorbarn.com/search.php?product=radiator

Do you have a filler neck and radiator cap ON the radiator or is your 90 still a closed system. If you have a cap and neck on the radiator and no pressure bottle someone converted it, which usually includes a new radiator.

Otherwise it is likely that the front got munched and they replaced the radiator. Do a search on the number like "MOPAR, 1234567" and see what comes up.

I still have the stock bottle, and no cap on radiator its self. A camera could not get the entire number so i wrote it down:
Modine MFG. Co.
Jeep P.N. 56002956
I did a little research and the P.N. is the OEM number. Does anyone know if Modine made parts for AMC/Chrysler when they were on the assembly line?

So, sorry, but what's the issue. Do you need a new radiator? Do you just want to know why your dad's doesn't have a number? Do you want a radiator without the tranny connections. Do you want to re order the same part or just want to know what the OEM number is.

Sorry, I don't get it. Is it giving you any problems.

There is no problem with the one I have, just curious if what I have is stock, or if my entire front clip was replaced due to an accident. My header panel is black and my jeep is red. Just wondering if this was OEM on 1990 XJs, heres a pic. (same jeep just before i got and what i did to it)
IMG_2887.jpg

I did a Mopar search with that part number and it came up as the condenser, not the radiator. Are you sure it's the radiator? I'll look at mine when I get home this afternoon. I have a 90 too.

P.S. Nice Jeep.

That is the A/C condenser. The number is painted right on top of it and visible through the oval hole. It's not on the radiator.

It's the cooling element for the A/C, it's an inch or so thick and sits directly in front of your radiator. It could look like part of your radiator but it's a whole other part. It's stock.

When I searched it, I got an A/C condenser also, but what you described is what I was thinking was part of the radiator. The previous owner must have replaced the radiator then. Thanks. Do you have a black header panel too?

What I want to know is how come your XJ is so clean?

That was for the first day I drove it to school but it still got dirty first. First and only time it has been clean. I also put an entire thing of turtle wax on it.

and that makes sense winterbeater, probably just had a bad condenser and busted up header panel.

Back