• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Small Lift Blocks

91jeepster

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1991 XJ that is sagging in the back and want to get it back to height. I'm not going to invest a lot of money in it and I want to do as little work as possible because I'm sure most of the bolts I try to mess with wont cooperate (It's been in Minnesota for 18 years). I have read nothing but bad news about lift blocks and I think I understand what the problems are. But if I only do like 2" there wont be any significant amount of leverage added so I don't see the problem (and I wont be wheelin' it). Rather than just saying not to do it can someone say that they have done it before and explain what they noticed. Thanks a lot.

I ran 1" blocks for a couple of years on mine without issue.

I wouldnt go much bigger than that on XJ leafs though..

My cousin runs 2" Auto store lift blocks and they keep coming unseated. Hes got a stroker, 33" SSRs, and locked. And wheels it so that prolly is why but youll prolly get a little axle wrap but not too much to worry with.

I wouldnt go more than 1" but thats me. Make sure they're steel too.

Shackles will work better also...

My experience with lift block resulted in this. It happened pulling out of a gas station, not wheeling it or anything.

101_3252.jpg

All blocks cause axle wrap and contribute to sagging or breakage of the leaf pack. Since you have to remove the u-bolts to install blocks, why not just use an Add A Leaf. Get some used S-10 spring packs from a U Pull R Parts or a Pic and Pull for about $11 each and build yourself a bastard pack. Disassemble them and use the S-10 main leaf on your Cherokee spring pack.

Search and read, bastard pack, budget boost, add a leaf, as search terms all return plenty of info.

http://www.tntcustoms.com/page.asp?pageid=155

if your leafs are sagging i wouldn't recommend any of the above. get new leafs, add a leaf, or build a bastard pack (s10 leafs) to help re-arch the leafs. if you added a block or shackle to saggy worn out leafs you would get negative arch

X2 on Polar_Jeep_04 comments.

Blocks have their place and can be used reliably and successfully when done right. But in your situation its the wrong thing to do. Build a bastard pack. It wont cost any more (search for "$11 Bastard Pack") and it will fix the real problem without creating any more broken bolts than putting in the blocks.

John

Blocks make XJ's fold like taco's.... beware...

I just got rid of my blocks yesterday and put 2" Rough Country Shackles. Fixed my drive line angle and got rid of that dang axle wrap. Like 60 Shipped on Ebay for them Really Decent Product.

Back