• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Few Budget Boost questions

Brad Klammer

NAXJA Forum User
I know there are a million threads already on the topic but I searched and couldn't seem to find what I wanted. I just picked up a 93 XJ which is going to be mainly used for hunting and fishing off the logging roads here in BC. I wont be rock crawling, mudding but will need to make it through the occasional wash-out etc. I lifted my 98 XJ with the full pack 3" which was nice but I want to do this one on the extreme cheap since it's only a hunting heap.

I saved the leaf pack out of my 98 that only had 130,000 kms (80,000 miles) so it didn't have any sag to it. I tracked down some V8 coils for $50.

My only issue is, after I buy shocks (bilsteins come to just over $300 mail ordered) is it really a budget boost anymore??? Even sh*#y Monroe Sensitracs are like $70 a shock in BC (yes, everything in Canada is so much more expensive!!!)

At this point it almost seems like I should just order the RE BB kit for $250 that includes shocks?

What do you guys think I should do to keep this really cheap?

* I'm basically following exactly what rocklizard does in his write up *

Well if you take the rear sway bar loose you can use the mounts for BPE for the rear shocks and use the stock ones in the back (Search Junkyard upgrades thread) , other then that you'll just have to bite the bullet for the front. Hope it helps.

Dane

...bilsteins come to just over $300 mail ordered...
....RE BB kit for $250 that includes shocks....
What do you guys think I should do to keep this really cheap?
I think you need to compare apples to apples here.

The RE BB kit generally comes with Rubicon MFG twin-tubes. While they are decent shocks they are in no way the same league of shocks as those $300 Bilsteins (assuming 5125s or 5150s at that price).

Ya I hear ya on that. While I know the Bilsteins are some of the best shocks, what would you guys suggest for just an all around good shock that is cheaper. I keep hearing people claim these $20/shock prices, where are you getting this?

Well if you take the rear sway bar loose you can use the mounts for BPE for the rear shocks and use the stock ones in the back (Search Junkyard upgrades thread) , other then that you'll just have to bite the bullet for the front. Hope it helps.

Thanks Dane, good advice. I've read that article on DIY BPE and I will be doing that instead of the $65 JKS ones for sure. I'm confused what you mean by use the stock ones in the back? Why would I need BPE for the stock shocks?

Ya I hear ya on that. While I know the Bilsteins are some of the best shocks, what would you guys suggest for just an all around good shock that is cheaper. I keep hearing people claim these $20/shock prices, where are you getting this?

$20/shock and you might as well not run them at all.
How much are you looking to spend? Do you want twin-tubes? Mono-tubes? Nitrogen? Way to many options and opinions to just name the "best for the money".

x2 on the jk shocks.they're pretty good shocks as far as i can tell. but if your staying small though DONT use bpe's. I did the same as that right up without any research on length (just went for it) and used bpe's in the back, now I'm having to add some more hieght- making my budget boost not really a budget boost.

Ya I was going to add 2 leaves from an old 98 XJ pack and do ZJ coils up front and an extra stock isolator to get 2.5"...basically using rock lizard but add an extra leaf and either an extra stock isolator or a 1" spacer to get more than 2"... thoughts?

i dont know how that guy got them for $50 shipped!?! Cheapest set I saw was like 125 + shipping making it not worth it at all.

I'm sure he probably just kept checking ebay for a decently priced set. If you have any 4wd shops around you that install suspension kits, let them know that you'd be interested in any take offs from a stock JK. Good deals can be found, sometimes you just have to be patient.

its hard to do 3" wrong....
the worst you can do, is a slightly ruff ride from stock control arms,
tracbar is fine or near fine (its fine IMO... some dissagree...)

bumpstops arent an issue unless you run over 31's or go fast...., but is easily added-on.
steering is fine if its aligned right...

RE monotubes ftw....

your right though, it quickly becomes a slipperly slope, you should save yourself the trouble and just get a re 3.5" kit minus the leafs!

Id say just run the 2", cut your fenders a bit and run some skinny 32s or 33's..you said its just going to be a hunting rig right? Should be plenty capable.

I got my jk shocks for 50 in town. call the local dealerships (where i got mine via craigslist) and talk to the service department to see if they have any take-offs laying around. they looked like the jeep had only been shipped with them.

if i had it all to do over again i kindof agree with xcm's slippery slope comment. but its too late for me. all in all I am into mine about +-300 dollars (US)

Back