• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone ran dual exhaust and how did it work?

aeheschutte

NAXJA Forum User
I saw online someone had duals on their 90 something XJ and it sounded and looked awesome. Do many people do this because i have not seen this to many times? Anyone have any thoughts?

Mine had dual exhaust when I bought it. It was louder but maybe due to the muffler. I've see a couple that looked alright, but the tips that were on mine looked like they belonged on some suped up honda. Depending on your setup, I could see space becomeing an issue. I ended up changing the muffler and running a single pipe. It really just comes down to your preference I guess.

the sound has a lot to do with length, diameter and bends of the tube, plus the muffler/cats used. True duals are tricky, you'll have to get a dual-outlet header. I don't know offhand who (if anyone) makes one for the 1990 motors. Some people just split the pipe and run two sections from the single downpipe, so this isn't a true dual exhaust. There are a lot of things to consider.

At any rate, if you want to keep the engine power, you'll need to run smaller pipes if you run duals. The 4.0 motor doesn't have enough airflow to run dual 2.25" or 3" pipes so you'll actually lose power and torque if you run dual large pipes. If you're just looking for looks and sound, go right ahead otherwise you'll have to do some math depending on if you're running true duals or splitting the stock exhaust.

I thought the Renix system was a little different, I guess not... I figured Clifford would have something, but didn't feel like searching, thanks! ;)

if budget was unlimited, I'd go for it.
As it is... 2.5" from the header on back will flow more than all but the gnarliest 4.0-based engines could need.
If you decide to go dual, I won't knock it... but wolfpackjeeper is totally right from a bang-for-buck standpoint.

on the other hand, a nice dual exhaust setup will heat up the gas tank twice as fast. Or in half the time depending on how you look at it...

Can you do it? Yes. Is it worth the money and effort? No. Spend the money on a quality manifold, mandrel bent pipe from manifold to cat and onto a quality muffler, you'll be more than happy.

i have actually done one on an xj and it was not easy - some teenage kid wanted it despite being an inline 6 and not a v-6 ... routing the exhaust tubing stinks and it really suffers off road because the drivers side is so exposed and this was a simple cat back! the xj is a compact suv and there is little to no room even under the vehicle... it sounded ok though - flowmaster dual outlet 2 1/4 pipes

Back