• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats exhaust sounds the best on 4.0 XJs?

aeheschutte

NAXJA Forum User
I want a mean sounding exhaust but also to not sound like i am running straight pipes either. Something deep and rich sounding that isnt too loud inside either. does anybody know what exhaust would match this description or where i can listen to different exhaust sound clips??

youtube...

For the most part you're going to have either diehard Magnaflow fans or diehard Flowmaster fans. There's also a few Dynomax people here. Like was mentioned before, youtube will net you many results, check it out. I personally like my Magnaflow cat and Flowmaster Super 40.

Stock. No wait, FM 40, or maybe it's the umm....Cherry Bomb, or straight piped. Maybe even swirly piped..;)
What sounds best is highly subjective and exhaust mods have been covered repeatedly on NAXJA, do a little searching for people have done. I've seen people with side exits, duals, 3" single, 2.25" single, Flowmaster, Borla, Magnaflow, headers, no headers, no muffler, Cherry Bomb, there was even someone a while back running a Supertrapp tunable muffler.
In the meantime, google exhaustsoundclips.com. I'm not sure if I got the url right or if it's still in existence but it used to be a fairly large site where you can hear multiple exhaust configs uploaded by users.

If anything use a turbo style made for reduced backpressure. It's old news, but Hot Rod tested them all back in the 80's, and all the turbo styles were far better at noise reduction without major horsepower loss than most of the rest - especially those spiral cut fiberglass packed tubes called mufflers. They are really horsepower traps, not noise traps.

Some still use them, saw one on the side of the road just the other day. They are generally crap, have better paint jobs on them than steel in them.

I would also look into a large diameter small format performance cat - no muffler can do much with some of the power trapping stock designs out there from pre-'96. And a properly designed cat back system can give more bang for the buck than most of the loud cans I hear in my neighborhood.

Just promise, whatever you get, don't start the Jeep and race it up and down the tach for 5 minutes before you pull away from the house. I've got one of those across the lane, now, and you have to wonder what he did to screw it up so much it won't idle. Criminy, we've got computerized fuel injection, sensors, and no choke these days . . .

its all about what you want. i have a straight through magnaflow and i like it. sounds good and isnt super loud like a flowmaster.

Im running a cat because my muffler fell off.. The previous owner ..I can't even explain it. I can't wait to get a new muffler put on. :)

I'm running a stock header with a MagnaFlow high flow cat and a MagnaFlow muffler that dumps right after the muffler. I like it!! Almost makes it sound like a V8. Only thing I don't like is that it drones in the cab pretty bad. If the windows are up it's especially loud. But oh well, it sure freed up some HP though.

Spintech.

That is the best sounding muffler period.

I'm running a stock header with a MagnaFlow high flow cat and a MagnaFlow muffler that dumps right after the muffler. I like it!! Almost makes it sound like a V8. Only thing I don't like is that it drones in the cab pretty bad. If the windows are up it's especially loud. But oh well, it sure freed up some HP though.

drone in the cab is probably caused by you dumping it right after the muffler under the jeep..

i have a flowmaster 40 and i like it- im debating getting a magnaflow.

FM 40 series!!!!! i wanna try the super 44 even deeper

Spintech! They are byfar the best on a 4.0L ( sounds great outside/ Peaceful inside the cab)

Finally someone else that loves Spintech! :D

I've been running a FM 40 for two years....and I hate it. Too loud, annoying in cab. It's coming off pretty soon for something stock style, I just want quiet back in my Jeep.

Back