• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has a 96 XJ??????????

jtdesigns

NAXJA Forum User
I have a kinda new to me XJ. Just needed to know about some features.
1- Does your XJ have a clock in the dash above the cig lighter?
2- Does your XJ have door jam switches on the rear doors??
3- I know the front flares are kinda diffrent (wider) from the earlier models, but are the front and rear bumper ends different too?

Thanks.......... jt

3- I know the front flares are kinda diffrent (wider) from the earlier models, but are the front and rear bumper ends different too?

Thanks.......... jt

1. no
2. yes
3. i have no idea as it is my first xj.

I have a 96; no rear door jam switches, no clock on my sport(trim model may differ), as for the rest i see no discernable difference in the body styling from any other year. Why do you ask out if curiousity?

I have a 96; no rear door jam switches, no clock on my sport(trim model may differ), as for the rest i see no discernable difference in the body styling from any other year. Why do you ask out if curiousity?
My xj is a classic. I have a MJ that has clock, blah,blah blah Wondering if any had the clock,, cause if they did then that means I have power for it somewhere to plug'n' play.... I was hoping to put in some jam switches for the rear doors.. Dont even know why they didnt have them to start with... :confused1
The front flares changed some year cause these are deff different then renix era flares.. They are wider at the front/top.. You'd have to set them side to side to see what Im talking about.. My 96 was hit in the left front, replaced the front bumper and left fender with older model, and Im having issues with bumper end caps hitting 96's flares on the right, but the left (w/ old flare) is fine... So Im sure theres a difference, but not 100% sure what it is. Or I need to pull some more sheet metel, which I honestly dont think it needs it, I feel theres a difference in bumper caps.

Thanks.......... jt

1) no.
2) for lights, no. does has child safety things to keep kids from opening the door from the inside though.
3)no idea. i thought they were all the same.

1991 was the last year for the dash clock. After that, it was in the head unit.

I put a 91 clock in my old 96. It's very easy to wire up.

1) no.
2) for lights, no. does has child safety things to keep kids from opening the door from the inside though.
3)no idea. i thought they were all the same.

thats what i was talking about when i said it had switches ie child locks.

has a switch on the rear light by the back hatch.

My son has 96, not here to look at, but as far as I know the bumper is the same as the earlier ones. 95 is certainly the same as earlier ones. My guess is that if end caps are interfering and sheet metal looks all right, there's a bent bracket.

Courtesy light switches on rear doors are a trim option issue. Base models don't have them. I think you get the rear switches along with the rear cargo light, and probably under dash courtesy lights as well.

Thanks.......... jt

the rear doors on my 96 do not turn on the dome light

1- No, the clock is in the radio.
2- What's a rear door?
3- I have both '89 & '96. I think the bumper caps are the same. There is some adjustment in the bumper mounting and end cap bolts. Loosen them up and adjust, if that doesn't do it, you might have bent something.

1 - No (but it was an option)
2 - Yes....probably an option, mine is a country
3 - Yes, the front flares on a 96 are a tiny different. They get wider at the front. You have to be looking for it to notice it. The flares would fit other 96 and older XJs, and you could put other 96 and older XJ flares on the 96.

Mine is a sport, no clock (my 91 has one), no rear door jam switches (again the 96 does), and yes i notice that my flares are wider in the front also, all of this kinda bugged me at first, but the panel were the clock should be made a nice switch panel for lights and such, the rear door switches not being there still makes me mad though! I want light when i open the rear doors!!!

the rear door switches not being there still makes me mad though! I want light when i open the rear doors!!!
I almost guarantee the pigtail for the rear jamb switches is back there even on the base models, they wouldn't make a separate harness just to eliminate those I can't imagine.

no such thing as a 96 Xj, they are a myth

Especialy in Rutherford County... Although forrest city is rumored to have one.

I have a ´96 Sport, but made for export:

1.-YES a digital clock over the lighter
2.-¿? I don´t know whats a rear door neither
3.-The bumper corners are the same.

I have an 88 Pioneer that has a clock, I think it leaks though. It keeps loosing time.

My question is who has two levers under their seat? I have figured out that one slides the seat back. What is the strange plastic lever on the right under the seat?

Last edited:
Nice hijack. :)

Pull the lever to find out what it does. It may be the rocking chair option.

We call 'em "rocking chair" seats. Chrysler did away with them in 89 or 90. The manual seats, in addition to sliding forward and back on the standard flat rail, have a second, arched rail (curved up at the ends, down at center) that allows the entire seat to "rock" -- it changes the angle of the seat and the backrest together, so if you like a lot of thigh support you rock it back, and if that cuts of the blood supply to your legs you rock it forward.

Last edited:
I almost guarantee the pigtail for the rear jamb switches is back there even on the base models, they wouldn't make a separate harness just to eliminate those I can't imagine.
They are there on my base model 95. However, some of the other wiring options are not, such as lighted mirrors and under dash courtesy lights. There must have been a complete sub-harness for those.

I too also heard the last year of the factory clock was 91 since later models had it on the radio.
I do know that the last year of the way cool "Sentry Sytem"/clock was 86.

xjdashsystemsentry.jpg

Back