• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which of these H4 bulbs should I run?

kboyts

NAXJA Forum User
My autopal E codes will be delivered today. I didnt upgrade the bulbs that they come with. I currently have DOT H4 conversion lamps installed with stock wattage Nitehawk (I think they are GE bulbs?) white light H4 bulbs.

I have a set of generic blue tinted 100/90 W bulbs that came with my DOT H4 housings I ran them originally when I installed the lights for 1 or 2 days until I discovered they were 100 watt bulbs and I was on stock wiring so I pulled them and installed the stock wattage Nitehawks. The blue bulbs dont output ridiculously blue tinted light its mainly white.

I have since upgraded my Headlight wiring to 12 gauge and relayed.

Which set does everyone think would supply the most light?
60/55 non tinted name brand bulbs
OR
100/90 blue tinted generic bulbs

Edit: I also have the 60/55 bulbs that came with the autopal housings

Last edited:
I just dont want to keep swapping bulbs to see which one is best thats all. Ive already had the lights out 3 or 4 times last week wiring up my new harness and its getting old fast .

I also forgot to mention this. Im selling my current DOT H4 buckets to my nephew. He's still running sotck wiring so I need to either give him the new stock wattage bulbs that came in my new autopals, or the Nitehawks or whatever they were called that I paid like $20 for. He obviously cant run the 100W bulbs.

Last edited:
I dont think the "tinted" bulbs do anything except try to look like all the ricers. I dont have imperical data to support the claim they dont do anything better than std.

100/90 maybe if you're rural, but the low beam may draw unwanted attention by being too bright.

I like 100/60-85. The high beam kicks butt and the low beam is just a little better than std (which is way better than incandescent).

throw em all away and go HID.

Sure send me a HID kit. And a retrofit projector to put them in so it can be done the right way.

Why not just go with non tinted 100/90?

Because I'm currently laid off so I wont be buying new bulbs and those are the bulbs I have on hand already.

I dont think the "tinted" bulbs do anything except try to look like all the ricers. I dont have imperical data to support the claim they dont do anything better than std.

100/90 maybe if you're rural, but the low beam may draw unwanted attention by being too bright.

I like 100/60-85. The high beam kicks butt and the low beam is just a little better than std (which is way better than incandescent).

I know the blue tint does nothing benificial. I ran the bulbs previous for a day or two and they arent overly blue, not even a very noticeable tint to the out put light. The only reason Im considering running them is the fact that they are of a higher wattage.

If you are looking for a nice true bright white upgrade, you should run those phillips something. They draw less but are like +80 which really give off a nice very crisp beam with no tint of blue.

Not to hijack your thread, but what is the highest watt you guys would run on the stock wiring harness? I am currently using a 65/50w bulb in a pair of 200mm neolite e code housings but i want a slightly higher watt bulbs for the time being till i can upgrade the harness.

use the tinted blue ones you have since they are barely blue anyway. Save money and replace them when they burn out..

If you are looking for a nice true bright white upgrade, you should run those phillips something. They draw less but are like +80 which really give off a nice very crisp beam with no tint of blue.

Not to hijack your thread, but what is the highest watt you guys would run on the stock wiring harness? I am currently using a 65/50w bulb in a pair of 200mm neolite e code housings but i want a slightly higher watt bulbs for the time being till i can upgrade the harness.

Honestly I wouldnt run any higher then the stock wattage until you upgrade the harness. The stock wires are unadequate even for the stock bulbs. you can pick up the eauto harness fpr under $30 shipped which is about what youd pay for a set of good bulbs anyways.

ok one final edit:

I pulled the Nitehawk(?) bulbs and they have OSRAM stamped on them. From what Ive read that seems to be a pretty high quality bulbs. So for now I think Ill try out the blue 100 Watters and hang on to the OSRAM bulbs for myself, and put the autopal bulbs in the DOT lamps for the nephew.

I have a set of PIAAs in mine. I think they are great but I don't know if there is enough of a difference to justify the price.

wello all this discussion and everything answered itself once I put them in. Tried the blue 100 watter first and it looked good, untiol I tried to instal the second bulb anr the metal tabs on the bulb base bent in when I tried to plug the harness on to it. So off they went to the trash.

Then I put in one of the stock wattage Autopal bulbs and it was extremely yellow, so off those went into the old lamps for the nephew.

Put the stock wattage Orsam bulbs in and they're beautiful. Nice white light. Cant wait to get to use them on the street.

Back