• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 re-build write up?

CameronB

NAXJA Forum User
I haven't found a good detailed write-up to follow. I'm rebuilding my '95 242 and installing a TW SYE, for the first time. I've got a complete rebuild kit and chain.

Any links would be great.

Also, when I pulled it, som t-case fluid came out of the input side as soon as I broke it free. Then I lowered the AW4 a bit to reach to pesky upper bolts, and it began leaking tranny fluid out of the output side....
Is this normal? :cheers:

I really would like someone to chime in who's done this, because I sure haven't. It's sittin on my bench ready to tear into. I'd like to know of anything to watch out for, tips, tricks, etc.

No more write ups? :helpme:

That's some reference, thanks.

But hey you, ya, the one that rebuilt your 242...... help a brutha out.

Should I be asking this in mod tech due to the sye being installed simultaneously?
:wave1:

The instructions on Tom Wood's web site (2 sets of them) and the ones he ships out with the SYE are all pretty good so far as the SYE install goes. I've never so much as split my TC before and found it to be a relatively easy install.

As for rebuilding the whole case, can't help you out there. I left my 242 in the vehicle and didn't even remove the front driveshaft when I installed my SYE. Only advice I have is to make sure you have a good set of snap ring pliers that spread to at least 1 inch.

Back