PDA

View Full Version : SoCal Annual Big Bear Event !!! Which weekend?

rpraterxj
January 26th, 2009, 22:09
Hey gang,

it's that time again! It's time to start planning the Big Bear event.

I want to get some input on what weekend would be better for everyone.

The first 2 weekends in May have seem to be pretty good, but it does get cold at night.

We usually choose May to avoid the summer vacation issues, graduation, and family stuff.....

So, I propose either of the first 2 weekends in May. The event will be on a Sat and Sun. Wheeling and BBQ on Sat, trail work on Sun. Some folks get up there early and might do a Fri night run.

If you think there is a better weekend, post up, but be realistic. We need to also consider other possible events that go on up there - Corvette convention, enduro-bike races, other clubs' events, etc...

This thread will only be open a few short days to get a feel and then we are off.

I will start another thread once the date is determine so we can get volunteers to help plan, cook, lead, etc...

Thanks!

mattyj
January 26th, 2009, 22:17
man i think ive only been able to make this event once in the last 3 years because it always falls on a race weekend for me. But the 2nd weekend in May i have open..... just do it then and screw the poll :D

GSequoia
January 26th, 2009, 22:17
The earlier the better, it keeps riff-raff off the mountain.

mikedashg
January 26th, 2009, 22:26
16th?

One is my anniversary, and the other is the actual day we are celebrating it. suck.

karstic
January 26th, 2009, 22:33
Second weekend would be better for me.

SanDiegoXJ
January 26th, 2009, 22:37
man i think ive only been able to make this event once in the last 3 years because it always falls on a race weekend for me. But the 2nd weekend in May i have open..... just do it then and screw the poll :D

What he said

rpraterxj
January 26th, 2009, 22:46
I have thought about no poll, but I want to hear what folks would like.

The majority will win out.

Like every year, not everyone will be happy or able to make it.

rpraterxj
January 26th, 2009, 22:46
The earlier the better, it keeps riff-raff off the mountain.

Wait.... :gag:

:cheers:

SanDiegoXJ
January 26th, 2009, 22:47
hehe, I'm just playin, Rob....I just can't make decisions....so that seemed like the easy option :D

mattyj
January 27th, 2009, 00:19
Changing my vote to the weekend of the 16th.

ruggedjeep
January 27th, 2009, 00:29
Well im out this year for sure. Every year it lands on the womans bday and she likes to go wheel in BB. This year its either on our wedding, a week before or while ill be on my honeymoon ....

:D

IslanderOffRoad
January 27th, 2009, 00:36
Hopefully I'll know my work schedule by the end of the week.

rpraterxj
January 27th, 2009, 07:10
A little change-up this year.

We will do the trail work day at a different time!!!

This means Sat & Sun wheeling!!!!

I will start another thread later this week in the official events section. We have to have the weekend determined firstm then we will need the volunteers to help organize it!!

Jump This
January 27th, 2009, 07:25
Fourth of July weekend!

Kejtar
January 27th, 2009, 08:42
FYI: 3rd weekend in May is Jeep Jamboree which usually means there's folks prerunning and "stacking" trails the previous weekend (7/8) which means we'll have to unstack whole bunch of stuff to have fun.

ocean_jet
January 27th, 2009, 09:11
Other: Anything but May 9.

Jump This
January 27th, 2009, 09:40
I'm sure I will find a way to get there regardless of the date chosen.
I have no life....

89cherokeexj
January 27th, 2009, 11:52
I have no life....

Other than not having a life...:doh:

What he said...lol

scottmcneal
January 27th, 2009, 11:55
I have no life....

:wave:Hey rick can i park my rig at your place? I need 70' or so...

squirrel80
January 27th, 2009, 12:09

Me too...

Darky
January 27th, 2009, 12:10
My luck not withstanding, either is good for me. :D I should have the rig on the road agin by that point. Or I may have another 4x4 if the XJ still isn't on the road (InconCEIVable!!)

Jump This
January 27th, 2009, 12:15

Don't have 70' to loan you.

Same to for you Jeff.

The parking is normally filled with Jeeps during SoCalFest.

Mr. Pickle
January 27th, 2009, 12:22
Man, I want to go bad! I hope to have the new project ready by then. Will this be an open run, member run or Jeep only run??

I hope it is one of the first 2. :P

Jump This
January 27th, 2009, 14:27
I don't think we have ever excluded anyone from our event.
Some guy in a Yota was there last year!

Skwerly
January 27th, 2009, 14:34
Whichever is warmest... ;)

scottmcneal
January 27th, 2009, 14:48
But, i'll have both jeeps with me rick...J/K.. To dam cold for the wife...LOL

cal
January 27th, 2009, 14:52
I thought part of the point was to do it nearer to earth day? 4/22 this year.

FordGuy
January 27th, 2009, 15:25
Just an FYI, don't know if it matters to any of you, but Sunday May 10th is Mothers Day!

johnnyc
January 27th, 2009, 15:29
That makes it easy. May 2-3. :D

rpraterxj
January 27th, 2009, 16:06
Just an FYI, don't know if it matters to any of you, but Sunday May 10th is Mothers Day!

That makes it easy. May 2-3. :D

Uh oh!!!

Looks like the first weekend it is then.....

GSequoia
January 27th, 2009, 16:19
I thought part of the point was to do it nearer to earth day? 4/22 this year.

That was the original concept but was ignored after a couple of years. Personally the Earth Day theme makes sense if we're doing trail maintenance, that was the idea.

I still support going up there as early as possible, it gets crowded up there when it's warm!

mattyj
January 27th, 2009, 16:21
Uh oh!!!

Looks like the first weekend it is then.....

Damn it!..... have fun boys, i'll be in Vegas for the SX finals.

Jump This
January 27th, 2009, 16:26
That was the original concept but was ignored after a couple of years. Personally the Earth Day theme makes sense if we're doing trail maintenance, that was the idea.

I still support going up there as early as possible, it gets crowded up there when it's warm!

There is a reason it gets crowded when warm.
Its FRIGGIN' nicer to camp.

But, I'm not going to camp anyway....

Still, more people have voted for the weekend of the 10th (so far.)

What good mother doesn't want to go camping on 'thier' weekend?

:dunno:

boostamante
January 27th, 2009, 16:52
how challenging is the terrain? i ask cause im a noon and still havent taken the XJ wheelin yet. Are there any moderate trails?

GSequoia
January 27th, 2009, 16:54
how challenging is the terrain? i ask cause im a noon and still havent taken the XJ wheelin yet. Are there any moderate trails?

There will be a place for stockers and newbies, I guarantee it.

boostamante
January 27th, 2009, 17:06
There will be a place for stockers and newbies, I guarantee it.

Good to know. My XJ is kinda stock but yes, i am a noob. :bawl:

rpraterxj
January 27th, 2009, 17:43
Still, more people have voted for the weekend of the 10th (so far.)

:dunno:

Correct! So far. We will see, but I still believe we will have fewer folks IF it is Mother's Day Weekend....

GSequoia
January 27th, 2009, 17:44
Mothers day would be bad, very bad.

Jump This
January 27th, 2009, 18:08
You guys just need to train your wifes to know that what they want is not nearly as important as what you want.

(I'll kill anyone who tells Bonnie I said that!)

scottmcneal
January 27th, 2009, 18:20
You guys just need to train your wifes to know that what they want is not nearly as important as what you want.

(I'll kill anyone who tells Bonnie I said that!)

I now have this on file..Thank you ...I see a roll cage coming soon...O-YEA :party: LOL

Carol.92124
January 27th, 2009, 22:27
As a mother... either weekend is fine. The last 2 years I've had to be at the airport at f*ck:30 in the a.m. on Mother's day to drop that year's 8th grader off for their WA DC trip. This year's my son's last year home before college. But as a mother, I'd prefer to wheel =).

However, as some potential participants are about to become parents for the first or second time over the next month or so, I'd advise against Mother's Day weekend. Other than it being colder than f*ck, why can it not be Earth Day weekend (I'm guessing it's probably the 25th/26th of April?) like Cal mentioned? The last 2 weekends in May sound bad... Jeep thing Remi mentioned, and Memorial Day.

My 2c

GSequoia
January 27th, 2009, 22:34
why can it not be Earth Day weekend (I'm guessing it's probably the 25th/26th of April?)

I agree.

Mothers day means I can't do it. Holly would not approve is being the first one and all ;).

Second, April 26 would be okay, that's around the weekend we originally started doing this and also happens to be my birthday ;)

Kejtar
January 27th, 2009, 23:03
why can it not be Earth Day weekend (I'm guessing it's probably the 25th/26th of April?)
Reason we did it on Earth day once in the past was to get the trail cleanup some coverage. We ended up with no coverage, really cooooold weather and since this year we're not doing trail cleanup during the event, why Earth Day?

luvdlions
January 28th, 2009, 08:47
May 9th sounds good to me. It's my b-day!!

luvdlions
January 28th, 2009, 12:32
OK... I resind my vote. Mother's day would not be good. All though, I wouldn't miss NASCAR that weekend.

rpraterxj
January 29th, 2009, 10:42
I am being told that folks want to change their vote.

The vote count in the poll is no correct because of this.

We actually have at least 3 folks wanting to change their vote to the 1st weekend.

I will be closing this thread out tomorrow evening.

It looks like it is going to be the first weekend in May! We will know for sure toomorrow night.

Once closed, I will submit the dates and start the official threads in the Official Evetns section on the main page.

Thanks!

cal
January 29th, 2009, 10:46
I am being told that folks want to change their vote.

The vote count in the poll is no correct because of this.

We actually have at least 3 folks wanting to change their vote to the 1st weekend.

I will be closing this thread out tomorrow evening.

It looks like it is going to be the first weekend in May! We will know for sure toomorrow night.

Once closed, I will submit the dates and start the official threads in the Official Evetns section on the main page.

Thanks!

Even with 3 people changing their votes, its still only a tie?

:edit: I'm a tard. I added 3, did not subtract 3.

Darky
January 29th, 2009, 12:29
I would like to change mine as well to not Mother's Day. :)

scottmcneal
January 29th, 2009, 13:12
My mother always wanted to go camping on mothers day when she was alive..So does my wife, she is a mother, wait can't say that...LOL She is a mommy

rpraterxj
January 30th, 2009, 14:25
So, anyone else gonna vote or chime in?

I need to get this going next week so we can have a successful event.

Jump This
January 30th, 2009, 19:30
Its still all good with me!

alek21
January 30th, 2009, 21:22
may 2nd and 3rd... my b-day weekend :D:D

Jump This
January 31st, 2009, 07:13
may 2nd and 3rd... my b-day weekend :D:D

You know that means you gotta' buy the beer?

xtimmax
January 31st, 2009, 11:48

Sucks for him, That means hes gotta go to the car wash and find a bum to buy it for him.... Freagin Minors!!! :D

djblade311
January 31st, 2009, 12:26
A little change-up this year.

We will do the trail work day at a different time!!!

This means Sat & Sun wheeling!!!!

I will start another thread later this week in the official events section. We have to have the weekend determined firstm then we will need the volunteers to help organize it!!

do you think that we will get more participation by splitting it off? EDIT: Nevermind I found the request.

rpraterxj
February 2nd, 2009, 13:37
Any last minute comments?

I am closing the thread today.

xtimmax
February 2nd, 2009, 15:16
Yea, Can you make it May faster? I had a blast last year!!

alek21
February 2nd, 2009, 15:21

lol, i would if i could..

alek21
February 2nd, 2009, 15:23
Sucks for him, That means hes gotta go to the car wash and find a bum to buy it for him.... Freagin Minors!!! :D

who says all car wash people are bums?? sometimes they're cheerleaders... but if theyre commin from serrano that generally isnt a good thing lol

xtimmax
February 2nd, 2009, 15:38
who says all car wash people are bums?? sometimes they're cheerleaders... but if theyre commin from serrano that generally isnt a good thing lol

In Phelan you can find most of the bums at the car wash..

alek21
February 2nd, 2009, 15:42
In Phelan you can find most of the bums at the car wash..

yea. true dat, you win... and either the cheerleaders have teeth like a bum, or look like a big sister of a hippo..

GSequoia
February 2nd, 2009, 16:01
yea. true dat, you win... and either the cheerleaders have teeth like a bum, or look like a big sister of a hippo..

Have you been going after the tweaker girls again?

"Hi there! I'll give you two dollars to..."

alek21
February 2nd, 2009, 16:10
lol.. no im over them it got old.. haha, i was talking about the cheerleaders at my school(tims old school) they arent very "cheerleader like" to say the least.

Darky
February 3rd, 2009, 12:21
We checked out the tent that came with the house and it's in good shape, so looks like me and the wife will be camping up there assuming we get babysitters (which shouldn't be hard, her parents like watching our kids.)

xtimmax
February 3rd, 2009, 12:33
lol.. no im over them it got old.. haha, i was talking about the cheerleaders at my school(tims old school) they arent very "cheerleader like" to say the least.

If a Swamp Donkey is what your after... then the serrano cheerleading team is where you need to look..