• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 conversion..

1bad93z

NAXJA Forum User
Being that I can find a 4x4 XJ for way under $1,000.. is it worth converting mine to a 4x4? What is needed? What is the price range for everything needed? Thank you in advance

it all depends if the parts match up, and if the 2wd is worth it to you to convert.

NEED MORE INFO!

in short you will need:
front axle geared the same as rear
4x4 tranny
t-case
linkage for the t-case
front drive shaft and rear drive shaft

is it worth it i don’t no you tell us

If you had to pay a mechanic to do it, it's not worth it. You'd be better of to sell your 2WD and buy a factory built 4WD. But if you think it would be a fun hobby to convert over, then that's another story. Also obviously assuming you have another vehicle for DD.

x2 on having another dd. you will deal with many, many problems/bugs before the thing runs well.
something built from the factory that way will have less problems guaranteed.

but if its more about wrenching and less about driving/wheeling go 4 it.

What I meant by worth it was the money involved in buying all the parts. I would be doing my own work

I'm pretty sure you can just buy the t-case, driveshafts, and front axle (and any linkage), without worrying about a whole new tranny... Just remove the tail shaft, then slide the t-case on!

In any case, I'm gonna try to help my friend research what she (that's right, a girl!) needs for 4wd. So I'll come back with any learned info if you want...

Here's some car part prices on major items (in my area at least):

MAX prices for reference:

T-case: $400
Front Axle: $400
Front D-shaft: $150
Rear D-shaft: $150
Total: $1100

MIN prices:
T-case: $250
Front Axle: $250
Front D-shaft: $50
Rear D-shaft: $50
Total: $600

Expect to pay somewhere between the two if you shop at car-part listed JY's, ones not online will most likely be cheaper. Don't forget the nickle and diming you'll get from the small things!

Last edited:
im doing one right now, well taking a break for lunch. lol

donor:
98, 4x4, aw4, np231, 6'' longarms, 4.10 gear hpd30 and 8.25, 35'' procomp m/t.

the "NEW":
99, 2wd, aw4,

tanny and tc are waiting for me to undo the bolts at the bellhousing.

easy peasy.

Back