• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Clunk?!

XJBandit

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, has anyone ever had a clunking problem with either the steering knuckles and/or the steering linkage on a 97-01 XJ?

I currently have a 97 XJ with a 3" lift, front simply from ACOS and 5.9L springs, and the rear from some shackles & AAL. Only running 31's.The problem occurs at slow speed turning, and only seems to occure once you stop, and turn the wheel. It does not always happen at the same wheel position, and will not happen if the jeep is not on the ground. It seems to be worse when there is lateral load on the axle, or when I am articulating and turning at the same time.

To date I have replaced the UCA, LCA, (JKS) all balljoints, all U-joints, sway bar bushings, installed better conditioned steering knuckles from a wrecker (made a small differnce for a while), and inspected the unit bearings, breaks, and Tie Rods. Nothing has made a difference. I have also inspected and tightened the trac bar.
At this point I am wondering if I have a crack in the unibody at the tracbar mounts, or maybe in the UC mounts, or at the steering box. I am planning on replacing all the steering with the currie HD steering and Box brace soon, but was wondering if anyone has had any similar problems???​

Check the coil spring retainer tabs. I had a similar sounding problem and that was what it was. Turning at speed gave it just enough play to make a clunk

i get that every once in a while, but then i just grease up all the joints in the front and and it seems to fix the problem... mine was only at low speeds as well, sounds just like what you got.

...dont forget to have a friend turn the wheel to and fro while you sit down in front of the front axle watching. Amazing what you can find when you can actually "see" where the clunk is coming from.

Thats the only way I usually ever find any of my odd noises. Like the tie rod hitting the trackbar axle bracket at full passenger side lock back in the day. :)

Had the same noise in the same place on my '97. Turned out to be the axle U joints.

Hey everyone, thanx for your reply's! After checking all of your suggestions, and inspecting in other places, I found that my frame is cracked from behind the tracbar, and possibly at the steering box. I have done some research on how to repair this, and other than the obvious welding of the cracks, I am looking at installing a steering brace, and possibly the C-Rok frame reinforcement.

So, with that I have a few questions...1, what is the best steering brace, I have heard that rusty's sucks due to pour fitment, and that leaves currie and JKS. I am leaning towards the currie...any feedback??

The other problem I face is with the C-rok as I have an arb bumper, and if I install the brace my bumper will no longer mount to the frame without mod obviously. Has anyone done this??? Any suggestions???

And the last question I guess is has anyone istalled both the C-Rok and the Steering brace? Will there be a fit issue due to the extra width of the inner plate slightly moving the position of the steering box??

i wouldnt think there would be a proble mith the inner brace cause from the factory the box has a spacer already there all you have to do is remove old and replace with new crok brace, as for the bumper is it tight against the "frame Rails" on the front if you had some room befor then the crok will fit if not you will need to do some fabrication. hope that helped :roll:

Back