• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E10 Ethanol and Fuel Cleaners/Additives

joe_peters

NAXJA Forum User
With the E10 (10% ethanol) fuels mandated, how many of you are CAREFULLY checking your fuel cleaners/additives to make sure they don't contain any alcohol products?

If you are not careful you could be raising the alcohol content of your fuel and causing yourself problems. Also, the fuel distributors can screw up the ethanol content and you could get a tank full of bad fuel.

Read this: http://www.fuel-testers.com/fuel_additives_gas_treatments.html

Just some FUEL for thought--really crummy pun intended.

:eyes:

Very informative. I used to put 2 cups of isopropyl alchohol in 1/2 tank of gas every fall to get rid accumulated moisture out of the system before winter. I guess I don't need that anymore.

BOTTOM LINE: Most fuel additives are not good!

I believe this is also an issue with fuel percolation after heat soak with the later models fuel injection system hard hot starting and rough running problem.

What probably controls the ethanol level though, is that ethanol costs more than gas, so they won't add in more than they have to. (We can hope!)

We have ethanol here at every gas station. I have ran it in the XJ since the day I bought it. There are some makes & models that drop off MPG's with it. I don't put enough miles on the XJ to let it bother me. Plus it's alot cheaper here.

Do the math. Even if that little bottle of additive were 100% alcohol the total percentage in a full tank of gas is negligible.

I'm with Lawson. Negligible effect. The window of spec for alcohol in the mandated 10% ethanol blend allows for concentration swings much wider than the amount in any bottle of additive. I found some of the information in that website to be "exaggerated" when compared to independent testing numbers and remember....they're trying to sell a product (testing kits) with that information.

Last edited:
The essential point here is that the tanker driver or distributor mixes the E10.

So a mistake is made, and you get a tankful of E85, E80??

What kind of engine runs properly on 15 or 20 percent alcohol? I'm pretty certain that there are no Cherokees that do. So you fill your tank and your Cherokee starts running like crap. Off to Wal-Mart and get some fuel additive. Darn, doesn't seem to help, maybe add another can or two.

Get the point?

Point 1: With E10 fuel, fuel additives are pretty much history as most of them contain ALCOHOL.

Point 2: Just because you Cherokee has started running like CRAP it doesn't mean its broken.

Oh, and if you think tanker drivers and fuel distributors never make mistakes, then you have never owned/operated a service station, or got diesel from the gas pump or gas from the diesel pump. LOL!

:roflmao::eyes:

Back