• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Change - California Emissions

crazyjim

NAXJA Forum User
disclaimer: This is a CALIFORNIA specific thread related to CALIFORNIA emissions.

wOO! Obama's off to a good start eh?

Obama clearing way for California emissions waiver - Los Angeles Times

Obama clearing way for California emissions waiver
Joe Raedle / Getty Images
States would be able to issue stricter rules on auto emissions if the EPA grants a waiver to California. President Obama is expected to ask the agency to reconsider a Bush-era denial of the waiver.
The president will ask the EPA today to allow states to set their own, stricter rules for auto emissions, sources say.
By Ken Bensinger and Jim Tankersley
January 26, 2009
Reporting from Washington and Los Angeles -- President Obama will direct the EPA today to reconsider a Bush-era decision that stopped California and more than a dozen other states from setting their own stricter limits on auto emissions, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Should the agency allow a waiver from federal rules, states could require automakers to increase the fuel efficiency of cars and trucks far above current limits. It also would fulfill a long-held goal of environmentalists, as well as one of Obama's campaign promises.

A waiver would be another dramatic rebuke of Bush administration policies, as well as a swift statement that the new president intends to put his own stamp on environmental issues.

"This should prompt cheers from California to Maine," said Frank O'Donnell, president of Clean Air Watch, who praised Obama as "a man of his word" for the decision.

Nobama strikes again. So how are car manufacturer supposed to make fifty different cars??? Sounds like they will have to make their cars comply with the cleanest state. Mainly no impact....except for the older cars, if they change the laws for them. :(

disclaimer: This is a CALIFORNIA specific thread related to CALIFORNIA emissions.

wOO! Obama's off to a good start eh?

Obama clearing way for California emissions waiver - Los Angeles Times
if i undrestand this, it will make it more strict and california will control it, not the feds!!! translation, smog everything that runs on petrolium products and ban anything older than 10 years, that is what california wants!! not a good thing if you like to work on your own junk and worse if you drive off road!! :passgas::shiver:

Nobama strikes again. So how are car manufacturer supposed to make fifty different cars??? Sounds like they will have to make their cars comply with the cleanest state. Mainly no impact....except for the older cars, if they change the laws for them. :(

That's exactly my thoughts. My worry is that the car manufacturers will do what the gun manufacturers threatened when California tried to pass the microstamping law... "We just won't sell the California anymore then"

I wonder how long Borrego Springs will remain smog exempt.....

Good question... I'd be interested to know as well.

The auto manufacturers have the power to prevent California from dictating to them. Caterpillar have shown the way by pulling out of manufacturing diesel engines for the USA and concentrating on export markets.

If all US auto manufacturers simultaneously decided not to produce any more vehicles for the home market and concentrated on exports, California would cave. Foreign manufacturers would not fill the void if the US manufacturers agressively flooded their competitor's home markets with cheap vehicles.

hey guys, dont you like clean air?
if your jeep runs good, what do you have to fear?

Are you joking? There is a big difference between your vehicle running good and meet ever stricter emissions requirements. Just think. You go out and buy a ULEV civic (or Pzev) and when it's got 80,000 or 120,000 miles on it and everything is working correctly but the engine is starting to wear, what does that do to the super tight PZEV or ULEV numbers you are expected to meet.

no, im not.

to be honest, car emissions are the least of my concerns right now...
the debt the older generation has put our country into concerns me more.

besides, welcome to the suck, where 'the man' outlaws stuff you like...

get your priorities straight anti-obama nutjobs.
you put up w/ 8 years of bush, and THIS bugs you?

no, im not.

The car emissions thing only bugs me because the standards are tight enough and nothing needs to change. If you keep the standards IDENTICAL to what they are now and change nothing else, the environment WILL improve over time. The older cars will perish in the long run, there is no need to try and push them out with more restrictions. The older cars that do not perish will be collectables and will be driven very little, so emissions from them will be negligible anyway.

As for the older generation fubarring our economics...yes, but its easy to judge people from the future.

Eight years of Bush....don't you mean 12 years? Yes, things that affect me directly do tend to "bug" me.

And please don't think I'm flaming here or being an ass....just my point of view :cheers:

no, im not.

i hace straightish priorities... i think.. Still, i would be unhappy if this EPA deal affected any of my hobbies as a car/off road enthusiast. I like my old cars... i dont have car notes :):yelclap:

i wasnt old enough to give a shit about anything but nintendo when bush sr was in office!

what i do know, is the people who supported bush till the end, now have god-like standards for obama, and it sickens me. the old guy choked on a pretzel and sat for 7 minutes, but THIS is the hot topic?

as allways, debate is good. and im not FOR stricter car emmissions...

if they make emissions more strict and my jeep wont pass smog... then it looks like i'll turn my cherokee into a OHV and be smog exempt =D... i'll just trailier it there with a honda civic with air bags in the rear to support the tongue weight and when i hit the dirt, swap positions ( put the civic on the trailer) and live it up lol =D

if they make emissions more strict and my jeep wont pass smog... then it looks like i'll turn my cherokee into a OHV and be smog exempt =D... i'll just trailier it there with a honda civic with air bags in the rear to support the tongue weight and when i hit the dirt, swap positions ( put the civic on the trailer) and live it up lol =D

i can see it now.. my 88 civic towing the 91 XJ.... awww..:p

Hate to burst your bubble, but emmissions standards for OHV's are in the work. Quads, rails, etc. will all have to pass a smog test real soon.

Back