• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

diesel like ticking/grinding

sean058621

NAXJA Forum User
this occurs when in 4 wheel drive only.
in the snow, when I hit the gas to the point that it breaks the tires loose(front and back) I get a lout diesel like ticking coming from somewhere in the drivers side suspension

the sound also occurs when the brakes are hit hard, when the vehicle is sliding on the ice/snow..

so basically the sound occurs all the time, however gets greatly louder at a loss of traction, weather it be acceleration-wise, or deceleration-wise.

I'm thinking maybe I've fried the diff up front?? but have no clue. any ideas?

when accelerating the sound frequency satays consistant with the wheel speed.

when I hit the breaks and slide...it just makes the diesell like grinding until the breaks are let off or the vehicle comes to a stop.

thanks
Sean

did you pull off and inspect your brakes? if youre considering the diff pull the cover and check everything out and look for metal shavings etc. check wheel hubs and brake parts for torque specs, and have you checked your exhuast/intake manifold for loose bolts?

Easy stuff first. All wheel lugs are tight? Had similar symptoms on cars where I screwed up and didn't finish tightening up wheels after I took it off the jack? Now, I try to go around twice (after screwing up a few times in my life).

Back