• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OD to Neutral lock out?

97 with 4.0 and AW4 and 231. I thought there was a lock out between OD and neutral so that you had to press the button in order to shift out of OD into neutral. This morning I thought I was in D and pushed the shifter up to get into OD. Found that I had actually been in OD already and it popped right into N.

Is my memory of a lock out between OD and N wrong?

97 with 4.0 and AW4 and 231. I thought there was a lock out between OD and neutral so that you had to press the button in order to shift out of OD into neutral. This morning I thought I was in D and pushed the shifter up to get into OD. Found that I had actually been in OD already and it popped right into N.

Is my memory of a lock out between OD and N wrong?

no lockout that I recall-- it'll slide right into neutral w/out the button here.

no lockout that I recall-- it'll slide right into neutral w/out the button here.

And that's a good thing, too. If you're driving in the snow and have to come to a stop where you're needing to pulse the brakes (sans ABS, of course), I've found dropping the transmission in to neutral real quickalike can help you stop faster. Keeps the transmission from trying to push forward in between brake pulses.

Back