• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake booster Canister? Can I run without it for a week

bigbadwolf54

NAXJA Forum User
Last night I was pulling out a stuck stock Grand Cherokee. He was barely stuck so I just hooked a strap from his hitch to my front Tow hook. I started to back up and my tow hook bracket ripped out of the unibody. I should have known better because the same thing just happened to my brother last week. (NEVER BUY TOMKEN TOW HOOKS!!) ..
Well my question is can I run with my brake canister on the back of the bumper disconnected for a week, until I can get it fixed and get new hooks?
Any help greatly appriciated
Thanks
Bigbadwolf54

Cap the lines, replace it later. It actually has NOTHING to do with your power brakes - but you might notice that your cruise control and HVAC controls don't work right (the cruise control may not work at all - the HVAC will "fail" or "default" to defroster vents.)

The power brake booster is connected directly to the intake manifold using a dedicated rubber vacuum hose, and should not be affected. However, if you do not cap the lines for the vacuum cannister in the bumber, your engine will act like it has a vacuum leak (which it will.)

5-90

It is not your brake canister. It's vacuum. you would miss it anytime you needed vacuum. like when changing hvac controls or maybe engaging cruise.

for now you ought to be able zip tie it someplace. then you can use the spiffy search function for vacuum bottle relocate and fins a better place for it (depends on your year) that will free you up to put what ever you want up front for bumper/towhook solution.

You have two or three lines that go to the bottle. In the mean time, find them and cap them. This will keep vacuum and get you where you need to be. I relocated mine closer to the firwall and i actually get better pressure now. Maybe because it does not have to go as far?

Back