• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget Lift Questions

91jeepster

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 XJ and was thinking about a budget lift. I think I might do larger coil springs and spacers in the front, and add leaves from a Dakota or S-10 in the back. If I get about 2-4 in of lift from this (is that about right?), will i have to buy new shocks, use a sye, relocate brake lines, or anything else. Remember that it is old and rusty. If anyone has already done this your input would be appreciated.

Anything much over two inches and your stock shocks will have very little extension left but you could probably "get by" without them for awhile,especially just for street use. Figure on doing something with brake lines at 3 inches or more. With a "91 you have a very good chance of not having to do either a tcase drop or an SYE at two inches, at four inches all bets are off. From what I have read about using Dakota or s10 leaves, you will probably be alot closer to four inches than two (not that I have any first hand experience with them).

Can you explain the adjustable track bar and drop pitman arm, are they really needed for just a DD? Why don't the budget lift threads mention doing this?

Last edited:
Yes I don't know where but def search. s-10 leaves will get you about roughly 4" of lift. Grab some grand coils and a spacer. You would need some extended brake lines, a adj track bar, zj pitman arm and some shocks. Thats going to get you by.

If your on a really tight budget just cut the main leaves off another cherokee leaf pack Zj v8 coil the front relocate the brake lines and get an alignment. tada 2" lift you can upgrade in the future.
Search google
Rocklizardfabrication budget boost for the last lift I listed.

Back