• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 keyless entry quit working

kboyts

NAXJA Forum User
My keyless entry just quit working. Its a 99 XJ with the peanut shaped remote. I only have one remote so Im not sure if its the remote or the jeep. I did open the remote and checked the batteries with the voltmeter and it was reading 6 volts (two 3 volt button cell batteries on top each other). And suggestions or common problems I could take a look at?

The power locks still work if you use the door switch.

Last edited:
On the vehicle side, you have the overhead module (receiver is built into the light) and the switch module in the door. The wires going out to the door are a well know problem for door speakers and window/lock switches, so it's probably the same for the remote system. I suppose you could jump across the wires in the overhead to see if it trips the locks. If that works, its either the printed circuit thing in the light or your key FOB. If that doesn't work, it's likely your wires between the overhead and the door switch. Usually people just run new wires (for speakers, etc.).

But the signal has to pass from the overhead module down to the door switch. Drop the light and jump across the sending unit wires. If it works, you're right. If it doesn't your wrong. The signal wires are different than the switch to lock wires.

My local stealership tested my fob for free. When I bought my XJ there were only one battery in it. Turned out to be an easy fix. Good luck, Al

Back