• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

icm

rockcrusher

NAXJA Forum User
can any body tell me where to get a icm checked in my 89 xj ive already replaced the computer and didnt need to after it warms up i loose spark and then it starts dieseling and it takes about 10 min then it will start again it might be my cps but im going to go check that now

Ignition Control Module, it is hiding under the coil.

What engine?

Are you also losing the injectors? If so, that would point to the CPS.

Easiest way to check out the ICM is to stick your voltmeter on the tach out signal. With the meter on ac volts, you should see some voltage while its running. If the tach is still there when cranking but you've got no spark then suspect the ICM. Also check for changing voltage across the injectors to see if you've got pulsing there too. The tach out signal is the green-tan wire. Pin C on the connector at the icm with 3 wires, or pin 1 on the yellow D1 diagnostic connector.

You can also check the resistance of the coil tower to ground - should be several kilohms (mine measured 6kohms). You can pull the two screws and pull the coil off the top of the module and meaure between the two posts. Should be fairly low resistance (mine measured 5.8 ohms).

first off its a 89 4.0 and i checked with ohm meter soupose to read 200+_75 at normal temp mine is only reading 68 at temp and now is only readying 198 on cold so i think its fried

Back