• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another D60 question

Skullver

Still Flailing
I have the opportunity to grab a Dana 60(4.10, drums obviously) rear end from a 1962 dodge truck, would it be worthwhile? Are there any good D60 rear end tech sites? It would basically consist of me driving 50 miles or so and picking it up free. I searched all over the web for dana60 tech, most of the tech is for the D60 fronts. I really don't have a use for it yet but would like to know what is good/bad about this assembly, and if it is useless or not as far as parts availability, strength, etc. the guy that is giving it to me is too lazy to go and check the BOM so that is not an option right now, what do I expect for free. Anyways, thanks much for looking.

Small tubes, likely 16 coarse splines. Maybe semi-float.

Meh, not much, but if it were free and teh width was right????

CRASH said:
Small tubes, likely 16 coarse splines. Maybe semi-float.

Meh, not much, but if it were free and teh width was right????
Just the guy I was hoping to chime in, Thanks Crash! So I guess I will just go and see what it looks like inside and go from there.

I believe Crash is right. I've said it a million times..... FREE doesnt always mean GOOD.

The clap is free.

true true, 100 miles of driving and lugging that beast into my relatively clean rig is not exactly free either. At least I have a pile to throw it onto if it turns out to be useless, it should complement my lp d30s, 27-sp 8.25s, and my d35 pile nicely

Ha!

You know, if youre set on a rear 60.... 1 ton full floaters can be had for about $100 to $150, from what I've seen. Not "free", but certainly not expesive. I even had a bit of trouble getting rid of mine at $100 when I went to a 14 bolt. Bore the spindles and go 35 spline, and you've got a badarse axle with plenty of clearance once shaved.

Im not set on a D60, actually don't even have a use for it yet, maybe on a project Yota I have, the Jeepspeed rig has a 35-spline 9", no need to run the much heavier D60 with only 33"s, that is another story. Really I was just wondering if it would be worth shelving for a while to address at another time. Thanks again for the replies, I just can't resist cheap stuff, even if it is junk.

CRASH said:
Not at all, really........
...coming from a guy whose headline is "pull the string out".

:D

Back