• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER BROKE OFF

steelmen

NAXJA Forum User
OK so i got into my jeep this morning and went to turn it over and the ignition lock cylinder broke off (i think thats what there called)

my xj has been giving me a hard time to turn the key over in the past few weeks and today it broke off, Where and how do i go along fixing this?

the key didnt break but the metal thing that helps you hold the key while your turning cumbled:tears:

89 4.0 auto

need help asap

l

So what help do you need exactly? If the ears are broken off the lock cyl, you'll need to change it. Your Ign switch may be bad and the cause of your difficulty turning the key.

I had to do mine years ago when I first bought my XJ, and they're not bad to do. I found a new lock cylinder at autozone. You will need a steering wheel puller, spring plate compressor, a torx wrench (not sure what size), and common hand tools to do the job. Just make sure that you pay close attention on how it comes apart, there a couple of springs that can be easy to put in wrong.

All in all its pretty easy. You should be able to rent those special tools from autozone.

When mine popped off, I drilled two small holes through the piece into the lock cylinder. Then I smeared some JB weld on the face, stuck it in place, and lightly hammered two pins into the holes to hold it all together. Been stuck on there for two years now. Of course I probably should replace the cylinder one of these days since I usually don't need to insert the key in to turn it.

If it is the actual lock cylinder, I'm not sure from your description, you will need a new one. They are $97 from an honest dealer, about $69 from one of the mail order dealers and they are $40 on ebay.

You do NOT need to pull the steering wheel to remove the ignition switch/lock cylinder. The Ignition switch is the large assembly that is torx screwed to the steering column and the lock cylinder fits inside it.

You have to pull the plastic shrouwd around the steering column, disconnect the wires from the ignition switch and then remove the torx screws from the ignition switch. The trick is, they are #20 Anti-Theft Torx Screws these torx screws have a tiny metal post sticking up in the center. You either have to buy the special #20 torx wrench that has a hole drilled out its center or remove the tiny posts, or use a punch and hammer will break off the post in the screw, sometimes not.

Once the ignition switch is out, you have to pull another anti-theft torx screw that holds the lock cylinder in place, and then with the key in the ignition you have to turn the lock cylinder back and forth as you pull and the whole cylinder will pop out of the assembly.

The dealers have the little tumblers, or you can clean up and re-use your old ones, I'd recommend new ones, they do wear and worn tumblers may have been interfering and causing the stress that broke your original lock cylinder. The tumblers are like $0.06 to $0.15 a piece, so just get new ones. Just use a little common sense fitting them together, you have 4 choices for each position, with the key fully inserted, the correct tumbler should retract fully and not extend out of the cylinder on EITHER SIDE.

Finally, lube up the lock cylinder and ignition switch well, as well, lube up the linkages in the steering column to help them move freely.

Go to Autozone's website. You may have to set up an account for your vehicle info or maybe not. But you'll need your vehicle info in order to be directed to the correct repair guide.

Anyways, take a look under REPAIR INFO>VEHICLE REPAIR GUIDES>SUSPENSION AND STEERING. It will give you an idea of what you're in for. I used this info to change out my lock cylinder and ignition switch years ago.

This site has nice pictures of a (I believe it's called a) Saginaw column. This also helped me out during the repairs:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html

It's a fairly easy job. Good luck to you.

Rick Anderson said:
You do NOT need to pull the steering wheel to remove the ignition switch/lock cylinder. The Ignition switch is the large assembly that is torx screwed to the steering column and the lock cylinder fits inside it.

That depends on the year. His profile says 86,89 which would be a GM column. The link that XJade gave has good pictures for pulling the wheel to get to the torx bolt inside the column.

ok if this happen to u:
crapkey2tn9.jpg

crapkeybn0.jpg

with the old style steering column (No airbag) then it is cheap to fix. I did it the first time without any special tools. U pull off the jeep horn cap, remove the plastic and metal parts for the horn (take note to how it goes in) then get the nut off that hold the steering wheel (big socket and socket wrench worked for me). a steering wheel puller helps but if ur a poor bastid like me back out the nut till its on the end (but is completely on the threads still) then take a hammer and tap the nut and pull up on the wheel (a partner helps but i did it solo :/). make sure u do not hit the center rod! u don't want to mess up the threads. once the wheel is loose finish takin the nut and steering wheel. then take off the dust cover (plastic thing) now i would go out and buy the plate puller (like 12 bucks at advanced auto) because it is soooo much easier with it but i did take it off a few times without it. u need to compress the plate but get the snap ring off the center rod at the same time (again a partner or plate puller helps, i used a butter knife and or needle nose to get it off) once the ring is off let up on the plate and take it off. now i forget if u need to remove the direction parts to get the lock tumbler bolt out or not but it isnt too hard if u have to (i want to say u just got to click the directional one way and then u can get a bit on the bolt). a walmart 10 dollar tool kit had all the bits i needed if i needed anything special. once u remove that single bolt that holds the tumbler in it shud slide out. put the new one in and reverse the steps.

total cost for me:
$10 tumbler at cap
$10 novice walmart tool set (a socket set with screwdriver bits)
optional $12 lock plate puller which i would get especially if ur by urself. now if ur in the mass area ill teach u how and u can use my tools if u want. its really not that hard and i'm pretty sure its worth ur time compared to letting a mechanic charge u for it. i've had to replace my tumbler on 2 jeeps and the windshield wiper directional and i'm glad i learned how to pull the column the first time. because it saved me a crap load later down the road

Last edited:
Lonestar said:
I had to do mine years ago when I first bought my XJ, and they're not bad to do. I found a new lock cylinder at autozone. You will need a steering wheel puller, spring plate compressor, a torx wrench (not sure what size), and common hand tools to do the job. Just make sure that you pay close attention on how it comes apart, there a couple of springs that can be easy to put in wrong.

All in all its pretty easy. You should be able to rent those special tools from autozone.

X2 - Had to change my 87, went fast and its the only time I've ever done it. Free loan-a-tool from autozone and about $10 for parts. Took about 30 min to do whole thing. That was with caution. torx, socket, puller, compressor and you're set! put in order the parts that come out :)

lawsoncl said:
That depends on the year. His profile says 86,89 which would be a GM column. The link that XJade gave has good pictures for pulling the wheel to get to the torx bolt inside the column.

i went to pep boys and got a gm one for 15 dollars im hopefullt gonna change it this weeek end when i have time. i went the auto zone to buy a streeing wheel puler and they said 15 dollar to rent but when i was pep bioys i bought one for 18.99 so i said fuck it and hopefully everything is all all good by this week end \

sorry if this is ffuckd up but im sooo smashed right now i have to watch a tent untill 8pm to 12 am and have been crunk off ice house and capting since i got off work at 6pm by the way i have been working since 8 am at a store called F.I.M. (Fun In Motion)haahahaha this place is a joke

later the drunk

SAM

Last edited:
jerics4life said:
i went to pep boys and got a gm one for 15 dollars im hopefullt gonna change it this weeek end when i have time. i went the auto zone to buy a streeing wheel puler and they said 15 dollar to rent but when i was pep bioys i bought one for 18.99 so i said fuck it and hopefully everything is all all good by this week end \

sorry if this is ffuckd up but im sooo smashed right now i have to watch a tent untill 8pm to 12 am and have been crunk off ice house and capting since i got off work at 6pm by the way i have been working since 8 am at a store called F.I.M. (Fun In Motion)haahahaha this place is a joke

later the drunk

SAM

AWESOME!!!!!!!!! You get your $$ back when you return the tools. Or you can keep them. :repair:

90XJay said:
with the old style steering column (No airbag) then it is cheap to fix.

The newer ones with air bag are actually easier to fix, you dont need to pull the wheel or mess with the air bag at all. No special tools except a secuity torx. Not so cheap though, best price i've found for a aftermarket lock cylinder for a 96 is ~$50.

90XJay said:
ok if this happen to u:
crapkey2tn9.jpg

crapkeybn0.jpg

X2

thats exactly what happened

i went to pep boyz the ignition lock gylinder was $15
steering wheel puller $18
an the compression plate was $15

im hopfully going to change it out this weekend

i went to autoZone and thought they would be cheaper but there were tryiong to charge me 15 dollars to rent the steering wheel puller and 15 dollars for the compression plate

gjxj said:
The newer ones with air bag are actually easier to fix, you dont need to pull the wheel or mess with the air bag at all. No special tools except a secuity torx. Not so cheap though, best price i've found for a aftermarket lock cylinder for a 96 is ~$50.

that's why i said cheaper not easier :p it is a pain to pull the wheel apart if you don't have all the specialized tools >.<

Back