• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Super 8.8 with or without spool?

NorcalXJnewbie

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I did lots of reading and i finally bought the super 8.8 kit. So i was thinking i might as well run a full spool in the rear with my 4.88's.

I know it will be locked in the rear and will chirp tires, but full spools are very strong and cheap.

congrats. now what?

Ok so I did lots of reading and i finally bought the super 8.8 kit. So i was thinking i might as well run a full spool in the rear with my 4.88's.

I know it will be locked in the rear and will chirp tires, but full spools are very strong and cheap.
Why would you even considerd it after shelling out all the money for the Super kit.

Personally id never run a spool in a Jeep, even if it wasnt a DD. I just hate spools in off road applications where less than 500hp is involved.
Spend the money and get a locker. The give makes all the difference. In the long run youll be much happier. Of if you dont have cash then save your self even more and just weld it, which youll hate just as much as a spool.
IMO

Personally id never run a spool in a Jeep, even if it wasnt a DD. I just hate spools in off road applications where less than 500hp is involved.
Spend the money and get a locker. The give makes all the difference. In the long run youll be much happier. Of if you dont have cash then save your self even more and just weld it, which youll hate just as much as a spool.
IMO
please explain why i will hate it?

because the carrier on 8.8 is supposed to be the weak link
My bad,I instantly thought it would come w/ an Ox or ARB like the rest of the kits with upgraded spline counts.I would never run a "hard" locker,it can get nasty at times,I would not have wanted one this summer in Colorado(ie:Black Bear Pass)and all the others where traction comes at a premium!

Id say spool it, reliable traction, what size tires are you running? You can always change it if you don't like how it feels

You can always change it if you don't like how it feels

you COULD... but you'd have to get your gears re-setup on the new carrier/locker...

price is NOT the reason to be running a spool... you save $200 on an aussie, but thats 1 new tire.... which you will be wearing thru at an accelerated pace.

mini spools are a legit option, when it comes to price, as you can swap it out for an aussie OR back to open... should you not like it.

a spools would be fine on a trailered or rarely dd'd desert rig though. the serious rock crawlers prefer controlling their rear lockup though.

x2 on the money saved on spool is gone quickly in tire costs. if this is a DD'd rig, your going to spin thru tires much too fast, where as an Aussie would be less $$ all around, and much more pleasant to drive.

Below are some threads with my experience running a spooled rear. Mini spool in a D44. Loved in the rocks, I loved on ice and snow (which surrised me), very stable, very predictable, far nicer than the autolocker I have now in icy conditions. I finally went to an Aussie when I started daily driving it because I couldnt afford the tire wear. If I didnt DD I would go back to the mini spool in a second. Road manners of the spool were excellent. Very smooth, no surprises. Very streatable, even better than the autolocker in my opinion because it doesn try to change lanes (like the aussie does) every time I get off or on the throttle.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=970197&highlight=spool

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64917&highlight=spool+john

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=88339&highlight=spool+john

John

Back