• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-Brake Removal 8.25

Mtb Jak

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I have a weird situation...

I have two 8.25s... I am swapping them.. got the S.S. Brake line done and the new axle in place...

The E-brake on my Stock axle is still attached to the jeep and the axle... How do I remove it from both sides? I will use the sequence on both of them.. but I may just not use the E-brake for a week or two (Disc Brake conversion)..

:paperwork

there's a little bracket behind the rear shoe that the ebrake cable clips onto. unclip it from that, and shove a 13mm box wrench over the plug and get it out. i'm sure there's lots of info in OEM tech...

(off topic, but i got the box yesterday, thanks again.)

For the side that goes towards the lever, there is this little adjuster thingy on the driver side frame rail. There is a long piece of threaded rod, with a nut, and a plate that holds the ends of the e-brake cables. Use a channel locks or vice grips to hold the end of the threaded rod, the flat part, and unscrew the nut enough to be able to maneuver the now slackened cable ends out of the slots. I'd spray a lot of PB blaster on the threaded rod, because I remember thinking there was no way that I wasn't going to break this piece.

As far as the axle ends, you'll have to take the drum brakes apart some, as there is a lever behind the brake shoes that you'll have to remove the cable end from.

Edit: Damn, Anthony beat me to it.

thanks just got my rear lift done and everythings ready but the shock mounts which are getting welded tomorrow!

I think im going to get diff coils upfront its seems like 6 inches of lift... we will see how the rear comes out..

i rebuilt my adjuster not that long ago, i think i posted it in a thread. i used a 5/16-18 carriage bolt and ground the sides of the head flat and used some other new hardware and voila, good as new. we all know how well those love to seize...

Back