• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NoSlip install- carrier removal

RenegadeT

NAXJA Forum User
Can I install a Powertrax NoSlip in my 29spline 8.25 without pulling the carrier? I'm concernd about the width of the ring gear, factory 3.55 gears. If I have to pull the carrier, instead of resetting these gears, I might as well add in those 4.56 gears I've been wanting too.

Yes, you have to pull the carrier, but you dont have to re-setup the gears just to install a lunchbox locker. Just make sure the ring gear bolts and holes get marked and go back on in the same location.

no you don't have to pull the carrier. i've been running mine for about a year and i've put it in a couple different axles (including my new one with 4.56 gears) and there is no need to remove the carrier.

in a 8.25, removing the carrier essentially means resetting the gears. remember that the 8.25 carrier is located with nuts not shims. if you're going to take the carrier out be very careful and mark the locations of the nuts before you get it completely out.

edit: you also don't need to pull the ring gear like you do in a D30 with an aussie or lock rite.

Yes, you have to pull the carrier, but you dont have to re-setup the gears just to install a lunchbox locker. Just make sure the ring gear bolts and holes get marked and go back on in the same location.

That is not necessary on an 8.25 as Anthony said.

Other axles yes, but the 8.25 is different.

I had a warranty issue with my Powertrax in my 29 spline 8.25. Which Richmond warrantied with no questions. I didn't have to pull the carrier to remove or install the locker. I also did 4.56's. You will have to grind a 2 teeth down in order to get the pin back in. ( the benefit's of C-clip axles :dunno:).

Actually I just pulled my 8.25 out to replace with a D60. Brand new brakes. 30,000 miles on the locker and r&p, minimal wheeling.. DD in Southern NJ. It made 1 trip to Paragon. It is for sale. Along with a LP D30, 4.56's, lock rite, new brakes, Bearings, Tera flex hi steer, new ball joints. Both are straight and dry.

I had a warranty issue with my Powertrax in my 29 spline 8.25. Which Richmond warrantied with no questions. I didn't have to pull the carrier to remove or install the locker. I also did 4.56's. You will have to grind a 2 teeth down in order to get the pin back in. ( the benefit's of C-clip axles :dunno:).

i didn't think that the c-clip vs floater made a difference in this. i think the carrier removal or not is due to the geometry of the locker and interference with the ring gear.

Actually I just pulled my 8.25 out to replace with a D60. Brand new brakes. 30,000 miles on the locker and r&p, minimal wheeling.. DD in Southern NJ. It made 1 trip to Paragon. It is for sale. Along with a LP D30, 4.56's, lock rite, new brakes, Bearings, Tera flex hi steer, new ball joints. Both are straight and dry.
any chance you'd ship that? send me a pm for how much you're asking

You will have to grind a 2 teeth down in order to get the pin back in. ( the benefit's of C-clip axles :dunno:).

Yes, with 4.56 gears, you'll have to either grind a couple of teeth or grind the crosspin. I did the crosspin, but it may be better to do the ring gear.

Yes, with 4.56 gears, you'll have to either grind a couple of teeth or grind the crosspin. I did the crosspin, but it may be better to do the ring gear.

No grinding required if I swapped gears...I would take the 3.55 ring off, remove crosspin and spider gears install the NoSlip and crosspin, then the 4.56 gear. I was just wondering if I could drop in a NoSlip right now without pulling the carrier, then get my 4.56 gears and D30 carrier and lockrite a little bit later.

No grinding required if I swapped gears...I would take the 3.55 ring off, remove crosspin and spider gears install the NoSlip and crosspin, then the 4.56 gear. I was just wondering if I could drop in a NoSlip right now without pulling the carrier, then get my 4.56 gears and D30 carrier and lockrite a little bit later.

You cant pre-install(carrier out) a lunchbox locker on a 8.25!

Back