• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Cooler?

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
So I am most likely installing a Oil Filter relocation kit

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...0+4294817872+4294908280+4294908279+4294840046+

When I swap over to my custom gauge cluster so I can have a good line for Oil Temp and Oil Pressure.

I already have a Transmission cooler (the B&M cooler) would an Oil Cooler be a little over kill? I thought while I am at it another $30 for a small heat exchanger that would drop the temp a few * would be worth it.

Oil temperature plays a vital role in the operating temperature of the motor. These motors are designed to run in the 210 range. Reducing oil temps with a small oil cooler would be useless unless you are towing or live in Arizona.

Your transmission cooler doesn't do anything to keep the engine cool - it's just for the transmission fluid (which is, as you know, separate.)

A "small" oil cooler may not do much for you. A larger one might.

Supposedly, the 242ci has such a high design temperature in an effort to reduce emissions. I find this logic specious - first becaues NOx (which is one of the nastiest, per just about everyone...) is caused by elevated combustion temperatures; and second, because when I depressed the operating temperature of my RENIX rigs by about 20*F or so I ended up sineing reduced emissions per CA biennial test results. Hmm...

Running your engine oil through a cooler should have beneficial results on engine operating temperatures, simply because the engine oil gets closer to combustion than any other fluid. That's why some Diesels and some turbocharged engines tend to run "oil jet" coolers up under the pistons - there's already oil being splashed around down there, but this increases the cooling effect. Also, oil tends to help cool the valves by flooding down the valve stems (to the seals. It's not much, but it's a fluid and would have more effect per unit area than the solid cylinder head casting - doubly so since the valve needs an operating clearance between the stem and the head casting - while the oil can run directly on the valve.)

NB: If you run OBD-II (1996-up,) you can't get away with depressing your operating temperature too much, or the system will throw a persistent code at you about taking too long to warm up, or not reaching operating temperature. You have a little more leeway with OBD-I than with OBD-II, and RENIX just flat don't care.

Repost (computer went crazy in the middle of typing)

Last edited:
The reason for mentioning that I have a transmission cooler already installed is with the addition of a second after market cooler I would have two coolers now infront of the main radiator, and i have heard things about having to large of a cooler infront of the radiator starts to be an issue. Or at least counter productive.

I am not having a problem with over heating or any thing right now. Just wondered if I am running the lines if getting another B&M super Oil Cooler would have any effect, benifit, motivation to get it, and install it at the same time.

The cooler would end up being on the electirc (driver side) of the radiator is it is installed (wanting to eventually go to an all electric set up, when my clutch fan dies).

I have a 1995 so I have the OBD-I that does next to nothing as far as codes go. So I wont have any problem with that.

When Off roading and the motor temp starts to get up cooling the oil will be just as effective as having hood louvers or other motor cooling components.

Thanks for the input.

Supposedly, the 242ci has such a high design temperature in an effort to reduce emissions. I find this logic specious - first becaues NOx (which is one of the nastiest, per just about everyone...) is caused by elevated combustion temperatures; and second, because when I depressed the operating temperature of my RENIX rigs by about 20*F or so I ended up sineing reduced emissions per CA biennial test results. Hmm...

The reason for running the higher temp (which most engines nowadays are running 210) is to increase fuel efficiency.

When you increase the temp in the engine it allows for better fuel atomization. The warmer the fuel the more vapor you have. And as we all know that gasoline is more combustible when it's in vapor form.

Back