• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

diff gaskets necessary?

I used to just use sealer with no gasket. Now I run Lube Lockers on both of the Jeeps.

I use rtv to seal mine..No leaks so far..Just clean it real good, run a seam of sealer around the cover.. like this
P1010012.jpg

Then i let set for a few mins..Then i install..Do not over tighten...HTH

Ya, I'm going to agree, that is too much RTV. You only need a small bead around the mating surface.

Like i said, i have taken it off lots of times..Go for it, if it leaks, try again...Just let it set up a little before you try to install...

thats good, i see the marks inside the cover,

I offroad more than most, so i do alot of damage to things...LOL
The marks are from last time, had to drive almost 29 miles with broke gears.. I forgot my bags to catch the oil in ..Can't spill it on the ground

Can be done many ways. Later model vehicles use RTV. Older ones gaskets. Even though the surfaces are the same for the old stuff and the new stuff. I like a gasket and I glue it to the cover with gasket adhesive to keep it in place. And it's easier to clean off the cover next time than the housing (laying underneath the car). The last time I used RTV, I had to take it off and redo with a gasket. And I had cleaned it off with brake cleaner before I put the RTV on. With RTV though, somebody on here, ?was it 5-90 (maybe for valve covers)?, suggested just snugging it down, waiting for it to harden up good, then tightening again. But I like gaskets.

Can be done many ways. Later model vehicles use RTV. Older ones gaskets. Even though the surfaces are the same for the old stuff and the new stuff. I like a gasket and I glue it to the cover with gasket adhesive to keep it in place. And it's easier to clean off the cover next time than the housing (laying underneath the car). The last time I used RTV, I had to take it off and redo with a gasket. And I had cleaned it off with brake cleaner before I put the RTV on. With RTV though, somebody on here, ?was it 5-90 (maybe for valve covers)?, suggested just snugging it down, waiting for it to harden up good, then tightening again. But I like gaskets.

Probably me, and definitely for valve covers.

For the axles, I simply install a stud in the uppermost hole (5/16"-18 x 1-1/2" or so) to hang the gasket and cover on, and to give me more control when I'm taking the thing off (I remove all of the screws, loosen the nut up top, and I can pop the cover without dropping it and getting gear oil all over me. Installation? Set the gasket and cover on the stud, thread the nut on a bit, and go around and start screws with both hands free.)

And you're not waiting for it to "harden up good" - you just want it to skin over and partially cure, but still be workable. It's just that allowing some set-up time gives it some more body so it doesn't all squish out when you're trying to tighten (torque specs are on my site - most axles get 20-25 pound-feet for the cover screws tho...)

WOW that's a lot of RTV. Is that a whole tube?? I believe instructions state 1/4" bead.....

Anyway, I always use to use RTV, but the thing that bothered me is the setting time. I was always hesitant to drive the vehicle until it had sat for 24hrs or so (which I believe is full cure time). There are just sometimes when I finish the job and need to be somewhere, so I switched over to paper gaskets. Now that I have several vehicles it's not really an issue any more, but I still find them easy enough not to worry about it.

Also, not sure if it's true or not, but I've heard/read that synthetic can seep through RTV. My Z28 had a problem w/ a slow leak in the rear and that's what I was told. It's possible that I just missed a hairline section w/ the RTV and that's just another issue that I'd rather not worry about (and don't have to with paper gaskets)

I use RTV. I used to run dry gaskets. I found that during water crossings, my diff sucked water passed the gasket. After switching to RTV I no longer have that problem.

I love my lube locker gaskets. I have never had a problem with them and they have more than paid for themselves.

+100 on LubeLocker gaskets. If you're changing the diff fluid like you should, they make the job really easy. It's no fun scraping off all that old RTV.

Back