• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump about to give up the ghost?

CartsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Would a repeated PO 306 engine code and a ruogh idle be signs that the fuel pump is about to give up the ghost? Seeing as its at the end of the fuel rail and the fact that when I did my exhaust header swap a few weeks ago, there was little to no pressure in the fuel line. I've been meaing to put a new one in, just haven't gotten around to it, mainly because of the work needed to drop the tank, shorten the skid brackets or remove rear bumper, drop skid, then tank. I've been working on my Jeep's honey-do list and this seems to be the last one for the fall. Anybody run into this yet? Oh yeah 98 XJ, I believe with the 20 gallon tank.

Not necessarily since your problem is with only 1 cyl. I would check the fuel pressure using a gauge and see if it's up to spec. You should also check the plug, the plug wire, cap, rotor and the injector.

I pulled the injector rail and seperated all the injectors, cleaned everything out. Seems to be fine so far, still a little bit of a rough idle but we'll see. I talked to my jeep mechanic buddy last night and he mentioned that since the injector for cylinder 6 is at the end of the fuel rail any sand, dirt, etc. gets throw down there and can clog or imped the injector.

Though I should just change the whole fuel pump, regulator, filter sending unit anyways. I mean its got ~165K on it and the tank level meter is always off, can never trust it.

CartsXJ, got a question. What's the trick with taking out the injector rail. When I changed my exhaust header I had a hard time getting it off and wasn't confident enough to put my weight to work on it. Turned out I could leave it attached on the intake manifold for that job, but I am still puzzled about how to take that part off. Is it just simply a matter of pulling harder?

Want to be sure before I damage something next time I need to take it off.

Thanks, --Tim

dutchjeep said:
CartsXJ, got a question. What's the trick with taking out the injector rail. When I changed my exhaust header I had a hard time getting it off and wasn't confident enough to put my weight to work on it. Turned out I could leave it attached on the intake manifold for that job, but I am still puzzled about how to take that part off. Is it just simply a matter of pulling harder?

Want to be sure before I damage something next time I need to take it off.

Thanks, --Tim

Which seperation are you talking about? The fuel line to rail, or injector to rail? For the fuel line to rail you need a special disconnecting tool, just go into any parts stoe and they can help you. If you are talking about the injector to rails, just pop the clip and pull straight out. If you are talking about injector/rail assembly to manifold, take out hte four bolts holding it down and grasp the rail on both sides and pull straight out. This is the key, straight pulling.

I was talking about the connection of the injector rail to the manifold. Ok, so just take out the bolts and pull straight, no special tricks. Good to know, thanks for that one.

Back