• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring diagram

falcon556

NAXJA Forum User
I have the FSM but I have been unable to find the wiring diagram for the full time 4x4 wire that goes from the transfer case switch to the green light for a 96 XJ.
A page number for the FSM, a detailed description that includes connector, pin number and wire color, picture, anything that can help me trace it precicely.
Been looking for it for a while, I'd appreciate any help I get.
Thanks.

Page 8W-40-10 shows a "4WD Switch" that seems to drive a panel telltale - augment this with leads from the valve body solenoids if you have the AW4.

The 4WD Switch is in the top left of the page, and the valve body solenoids are in the centre of the page. They feed into the "4WD Lock" and "4WD Full Time" lights on the IP.

5-90

5-90 said:
Page 8W-40-10 shows a "4WD Switch" that seems to drive a panel telltale - augment this with leads from the valve body solenoids if you have the AW4.

The 4WD Switch is in the top left of the page, and the valve body solenoids are in the centre of the page. They feed into the "4WD Lock" and "4WD Full Time" lights on the IP.

5-90
Been there, no good. What is shown is the BK/RD part time wire.
I need what I think is the GY/YL for the full time light. I can see the BK/YL wire going from the transmission to the panel, what I need is how it got to the transmission in the first place.
Thanks for trying please don't give up.

Interesting - I just found out that my 1996FSM does not have the transfer case section in it! The AW4 is not in there, either...

Looking at 8W-40-10 some more...

There are two wires going to the IP (as you mentioned) - the BLK-RED wire (BLK-LTB at the panel) comes from the 4WD switch and from the valve body solenoids (AMC242 Auto Transmission.) The other wire - BLK-YEL - also goes to the valve body solenoids - but no-where else. I would look into following the transmission wiring harness from the transmission forward - and it keeps the same colour all the way back, apparently.

There are two "checkpoints" on the way back to the transmission - C108 (Bulkhead Connector) and C135 (Underhood, inboard of blower motor, Grey.) C135 is the transmission solenoid connector, 4x2 layout. Cavity "A" is the "4WD Full Time" signal, and Cavity "H" is the "4WD Lock" signal - which I presume to mean "Part Time."

Try that... I gotta go do work..

5-90

5-90 said:
Interesting - I just found out that my 1996FSM does not have the transfer case section in it! The AW4 is not in there, either...

Looking at 8W-40-10 some more...

There are two wires going to the IP (as you mentioned) - the BLK-RED wire (BLK-LTB at the panel) comes from the 4WD switch and from the valve body solenoids (AMC242 Auto Transmission.) The other wire - BLK-YEL - also goes to the valve body solenoids - but no-where else. I would look into following the transmission wiring harness from the transmission forward - and it keeps the same colour all the way back, apparently.

There are two "checkpoints" on the way back to the transmission - C108 (Bulkhead Connector) and C135 (Underhood, inboard of blower motor, Grey.) C135 is the transmission solenoid connector, 4x2 layout. Cavity "A" is the "4WD Full Time" signal, and Cavity "H" is the "4WD Lock" signal - which I presume to mean "Part Time."

Try that... I gotta go do work..

5-90
You can't leave now, you are getting hot. :)
Well, I'll catch you when you get back.
I have considered that. I believe that this is the wire coming out of the valve body. No problem there. I need the wire (GY/YL?) going in to the valve body.

I have teh 95 FSM and it seems as much lacking in the info as the 96, but if you go to the connector locations page (8W-90-22 on mine) you'll find that there is a different connector for the 242 TC. It is C-414, instead of C-407, and it goes shortly to C-357.. So now I go back to 8W-80-46 for connector pinouts and find that C-414 and 357 have a black/red and a gray/yellow wire. 8W-40-9 (the schematic page for the 95) shows C-357 as the last connector on the way to the 4WD lamp. This doesn't make a lot of sense, since the location illustration shows C-357 as being under the vehicle, but it looks as if from there it may go straight to the lamp and bypass C-108 and 135.

OK... Since I'm taking a break now anyhow...

Go to page 8W-31-7. Centre left of the page (near the spine of the book,) there should be another dotted box like the one on 8W-40-10. The wiring coming out of that is BLK/RED (splis off of the "4WD Lock" - goes to the 4WD switch and the valve body solenoids, C135, cavity H) and BLK/YEL, going into C135, cavity A (I believe I described C135 earlier.)

Apart from that, I haven't much else to offer - as I'd said, my transfer cases and my AW4 sections are all missing, much to my dismay (I'll get them later, I guess.) The 4WD circuits don't seem to have anything to do with the TCM, unless there's some cross-connection not depicted in the "Valve Body Solenoids" box on that page.

5-90

My 96 came with a 231. I replaced the 231 with a 242. I hooked the amber light just as it was originally and it works fine in part time 4x4.
Normally I wouldn't give a hoot about the green, in fact I don't even want it.
What bothers me is that C414 feeds C357 which is supposed to be on the transmission and I don't have it, and the GY/YL is supposed to go throught the valve body and somehow from there to the instrument panel.
It would have been easier to run the wires straight to the panel for the light instead of going through the valve body.
I suppose that it serves a function. I tried to find that wire and failed.
I tried to find it by finding all the wires that go to the transmission and that didn't work neither.
In one instance when I found that the ABS G switch does its trick in 4x4, I thought there might be a connection between ABS and transmission considering that the only part that knows it is in 4x4 is the switch and the switch goes through the transmission. If I could find all the wires to the transmission I may solve my problem.
I even checked every single splice diagram in case it splices to another wire.
So far nothing, all I get is incomplete wiring diagrams.
Something as simple as tracing a single wire has turned in to a project.

Thanks I appreciate your help.

Back