• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help on Locating a Part

Southwest Chuck

NAXJA Forum User
Note: I posted this in the for sale section as a WTB ad. Anyway, I have a Warn hub conversion on my XJ that I bought just after x-mas. The previous owner neglected them and ran the wheel bearings dry. The result was a spun inner race on one of the wheel hubs. Does anyone have one of these or can someone direct me to a shop that carries parts for the XJ conversion? Warn is selling their Hub Division (to Randy's Ring and Pinion?) and this part is no longer available according to 4wp and Randy's is not sure they will be manufacturing them any longer.

Anyone have any ideas on where to locate one? Part number and breakdown as shown. Thanks !

WarnXJHub.jpg

have a number off the old race? they are usually laser inscribed on the lip of the wide side of the race. if so i can help you. or, there is a specialty bearing shop here in gardena, called "motion industries". with a sample they claim to be able to find any bearing. :dunno: there may be a similar shop closer to you.

have a number off the old race? they are usually laser inscribed on the lip of the wide side of the race. if so i can help you. or, there is a specialty bearing shop here in gardena, called "motion industries". with a sample they claim to be able to find any bearing. :dunno: there may be a similar shop closer to you.

I've all ready got new bearings and races (Timpken). Both wheels had a good 1/2" wobble to them when I jacked the front-end up. It was obvious it was the wheel bearings. I took the passengers side apart and insected the bearings (dry) and races (burnished). The inner race just spun inside the hub. Outer race was ok. I knocked the races out, and installed the new ones. The outer race is tight but the new inner race spins like the old one did. It went in tight, but when it reached it's "seat", it was loose. That tells me that when the bearing went dry it over heated. Combining that with a missadjusted spindle nut, it grabed and spin the race in the hub, wearing it to the point it wil no longer hold even a new race in place.
So now, unless there's a way to machine or ream out the inner hub to fit a slightly larger race, I'm stuck with finding a new hub to replace it. Are there any other options? :dunno:

You could have the hub welded up then re-machined...

If you are not in a hurry I can do it for you....

Thanks For the offer! :worship:I know that's a lot of work and I was wondering if it could even be done. Let me see if I can locate another one at a reasonable cost before we go to that trouble. Besides , I need to pull the driver's side apart and see what it looks like and see where I stand with that one, also.
But I do appreciate the willingness and offer to help. I'll keep you posted.

To anyone else considering getting Warn's Hub Conversion kit ($1,100.00 +/-), Many suppliers still have them in stock. Just be aware that at this point, from what I can determine, no replacement parts are available for them except of course, bearings & races which are available at any auto parts store..

Not a lot of work..... But like I said, as long as you are not in a big hurry......

We are not real busy at work, but sometimes it's hard to get personal work done..... There is usually a line...;)

Thanks For the offer! :worship:I know that's a lot of work and I was wondering if it could even be done. Let me see if I can locate another one at a reasonable cost before we go to that trouble. Besides , I need to pull the driver's side apart and see what it looks like and see where I stand with that one, also.
But I do appreciate the willingness and offer to help. I'll keep you posted.

To anyone else considering getting Warn's Hub Conversion kit ($1,100.00 +/-), Many suppliers still have them in stock. Just be aware that at this point, from what I can determine, no replacement parts are available for them except of course, bearings & races which are available at any auto parts store..

I believe ALL the parts are available pretty much anywhere... EXCEPT !! the piece you are after... another option might be to pull the other side & have one turned ?? Or try M.M. ??

Curt

I believe ALL the parts are available pretty much anywhere... EXCEPT !! the piece you are after... another option might be to pull the other side & have one turned ?? Or try M.M. ??

Curt

I'll check with Warn / Randy's on Monday and get a definative answer on this. By that time I'll have the other one torn apart and see where I stand with that one also.

Back