• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'87 XJ using a '91 tank: Sender issues.

Hubbazoot

NAXJA Forum User
Long story short, my 'new' sender (did a tank swap to fix a dent/leak) is reading backwards because of some wiring issues at the plug. I'm currently running hypotheticals trying to figure it out. Would clipping the ground wire on the tank side of the plug and attaching it to a ground itself fix this issue?

Best to check wiring diagram for 87 and 91--gotta be something not right.

Dang, can't find the Haynes. Wife cleaned house, stuff not where it used to be.

I'll keep looking, or someone else can jump in.

Renix vs. HO.......the polarity is reversed for the gauge clusters. I've got the same issue running a 91 pump assembly in my 87 MJ. There is no "quick" fix to it.

Just run it as is, and remember that empty=full and visa versa :)

Jeff

Renix vs. HO.......the polarity is reversed for the gauge clusters. I've got the same issue running a 91 pump assembly in my 87 MJ. There is no "quick" fix to it.

Just run it as is, and remember that empty=full and visa versa :)

Jeff
Could I possibly switch the wires going up to the gauge underneath the console? The problem is "full" doesn't equal "empty." The tank is actually empty at about "3/4." on the gauge.

I don't think its a polarity question. The resistance of the sender runs backwards, which is not easily fixed by swapping wires.

Spec on a 93 (I think the same as 91) says 5 ohms resistance is full, 105 ohms is empty. I believe the 87 goes the other way with low resistance being empty.

if you need a sender I can probly get one we have a few in the wrecking yard where I work and we ship ups just send me a PM and I can probly hook you up

Back