• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Q before I buy a 87 XJ.

XJCreeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have an opportunity buy a 1987 4 door cherokee but wanted to ask the membership their opinion on this year. Currently have a 1994 an I've heard some of the early years had problems and was curious if anyone could share there experience with this year. It is a 4 door with a rebuilt engine and the guy wants $1200 for it. Should I jump on this or wait to buy a later year model. What are some of the short comings of the early model XJ's. TIA.

Despite it being the first year for the 4.0, and the first year Jeep used the AW4 (but not the first for the design), The 87 was good right from the get-go. The only thing about an 87 (through mid-89, I think) that is more of a problem than other years, as far as I know, is the wiring harness for the engine controls, which passes through a large connector on the firewall. Because the Renix FI system is very sensitive to tiny alterations of voltage, bad connections here can cause problems. It's not that hard to maintain, though.

The Renix fuel injection system differs somewhat from the Chrysler system in your 94, but it is quite dependable. One thing you might miss is the on board diagnostics, but with folks like Eagle and 5-90 and all, the on-forum diagnostics are almost as handy.

About the only other weakness I can think of is that early Renix injectors often leak, not only from the seals but from the body where the electrical connector feeds through. Do a very careful check and sniff of the injectors when the engine is running, to see if there's any problem there. If the engine was properly rebuilt it should have new injectors anyway, but make sure, because it would be a pity to burn up a nice 87.

I have a 1987. I've been driving the hell out of it for two years. I've killed two altenators in that time, but both immediatly after deep water experiances. With 6.5" of lift and 35's (4.88's) I still manage to get 18 mpg on the highway at 65 mph, and it's never gone so far as to even run rough. The electrical system makes a little less sense than later models, but as Mathew said with naxja's resources this is not a problem at all.

I agree about the wiring Harness but no big problem I went tru the hole cleaning the connectors and no problem. I love my 87 Chief its my rusty but trusty it has never let me down, tough as a tank. I did own a 85 with he 2.8L V6 that one was a PITA got rid of it.

Thanks for the input thus far. I'll be sure to check the wiring connector at the firewall and ask about the fuel injectors giving them the sniff test when I check it out.

Hey I have an '85 and it is great and TOUGH! Granted I have a new 2.8L Crate Engine in it that is punched .60 over and a comp cams #16-233-4. I also just replaced and repaired the floor and herc'ed it. The tranny has been gone through and the front diff. Transfer case was done about 50,000 ago. I dont like the trim on '87s but its still a Jeep.
AND WHAT DOES "PITA" STAND FOR?

The absolute best thing about the 1987 Cherokee is that you have a much higher chance of a Dana 44 rear axle than any other model year. I own 2 1987 XJs and they both came with the Dana 44 rear. Rumor here has it that the XJ has to come with a factory towing package to have a Dana 44. That may be the case in later years, but one of mine is a Pioneer without many options. It does not have the factory towing package.

If you don't know what one looks like, do a search and find some pictures of a Dana 44. This could be a deciding factor.

Back