• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Different Approach to bypassing a Disconnect D30

asp

NAXJA Forum User
I've never taken apart a disconnect D30, but I essentially know how it works. I also am currently running a geared and locked D30 with the disconnect bypass already installed (297 shafts with the seal pressed in, etc). I would like to keep this housing simply because it's already geared and locked, but i know that the best thing would be to get a new HP housing... My question is that if i uninstall the little housing thing on the back of the axle tube that the disconnect is in, can i form some plate and weld it in in place of the disconnect box and parts? I want to truss it, but that little extra box bugs me. Is there any reason i can't just take it off, weld on some plate, and put a seal right outside of the carrier, like the non-disco 30s?

Why?

You said you converted to the one-piece shaft, right?

All the disco box is doing now is bulking up the uca mount on that side.

I'd think you'd want to keep it...

:dunno:

Robert

Last edited:
If you've converted to 1 piece shafts the only thing that vacuum switch assembly is doing next to nothing. I think the only thing it is doing now is turning on your 4wd light if it still works anyway. Get/make a plate to block it off and truss it end of story. Here is a link to a site where he did it on a YJ and he found a plate originally made by warn or something
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/yjd30convert/yjconvert-1.htm

hmm, i already have the little plate thing that was in that write up. good write up too, for anyone else that needs to do this... but there's still some other crap on the axle that i want to get rid of. i'll take a picture of what i'd like to get rid of and post it after i get out of work. if you couldn't tell, a previous owner did the conversion...

I have a plate on mine that I bought online.

but there's still some other crap on the axle that i want to get rid of...

Again, why?

It's not hurting anything, and if you start cutting and welding, you're only gonna make a weak spot.

I say leave it be. Find something better to worry about! :D

Robert

Back