• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guantanamo closed?

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
I just heard Guantanamo has been closed? WTF?! What the hell is his plan for all the detainees? Sure there is likely to be some innocents there, but I'd say the vast majority are going to be guilty. If we just release them, now our security goes to pot again, or if we just move them to another location all it is is a feel good move to say, "See look, I closed Guantanamo! Pay no attn to the buses carting the detainees away to other prisons..."

It closes in 1 year. Cart before the horse...so now they have to find someplace for them. Glenn Beck suggested Alcatraz so Nancy Pelosi could keep an eye on them. :D:D:D

But seriously, there are concerns that once they hit US soil they suddenly get rights that will make it difficult to prosecute them. HOWEVER, guys like Khalid Sheik Mohammed can be hit with the FIRST World Trade Center attacks...which they can put him away for life with. Somebody better sort this shit out fast. ;)

We could put all of the tangos we've got into Gen Pop at one of the nice rural prisons, and tell the rest of the cons why they're there. Terrorists are pretty low on the prisoner pecking order - usually falling in somewhere above child molesters and just below pirates at sea (those who prey on the innocent - particularly children - usually end up in Iso for their own safety. Most cons have kids...)

Or put them up in Pelican Bay Supermax (or somewhere similar,) and leave them in Iso x24h.

While I don't like our having to have Gitmo Camp X-ray open, the fact of the matter is that they have made it necessary. Fighting terrorists - particularly religiously-motivated terrorists - gives us an enemy that is even worse than the Viet Cong, and a potentially greater hairball than the whole of Southeast Asia was from 1950 to 1975. The VC were fighting an unlimited war with political motivation. Terrorists are waging an unlimited campaign (I'll not even dignify it by calling it a "war" - that would presume an armed force engaging another armed force. Terrorists don't engage an armed force, and deserve less emotion when shot down than you'd reserve for a rabid dog...) that is motivated by extremist religion - so they're not looking for a payoff in the "here and now," but for "pie in the sky."

And that means that no-one has come back to tell them they're wrong about it all.

Couple that with the small factoid that this is going to end up being a war of annihilation - they won't be happy until we're wiped out, so we have to wipe them out utterly first! - and you can see the morass we're involved in. yes, they're still going to devote some attention to the former Soviet Union (they were the other "Great Satan,") but there's not much there to distract them from us anymore.

As a result, I tend to think of Gitmo as a "necessary evil" - and they're still being well cared for down there, from what I am given to understand. Turn these people loose? Not without a prefrontal lobotomy and a last ham sandwich - they'll become threats again (if not for the first time, because they're bent at us. I am likewise sure that some of the people there are there because of "wrong place/wrong time" events, and they're working up a good head of steam.) I'd like to see Gitmo shut down, but what are we going to do with them all afterwards?

I'd like to see us pull out of Iraq, but we apparently don't have a viable exit plan yet. So what - leave and utterly destablise the region? Might as well blast it into a radioactive parking lot if we're going to do that. There has to be an orderly changeover there if we're going to count the campaign a success, you know? Thus, the need for an exit plan.

I still say that we should turn elements of SFOD-Delta and SEAL Team SIX loose on them worldwide, and just cross the Jihadis off the list as fingers come back in for identification. "Hunting season is open - no bag limit. Just make damned sure of your targets first..."

Politicians would never go for it, tho.

I didn't read more than a few lines of what Jon wrote, but one problem with tossing them into genpop or doing away with them completely is that they're an intelligence source. Of course, The Enlightened One did away with enhanced interrogation tactics as well. Contradictions for everyone!

(01-22) 10:00 PST GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba (AP) --

Human rights observers at Guantanamo naval base are celebrating President Barack Obama's order to close the detention center within a year, while a prosecutor holds out hope war-crimes trials will resume.
Stacy Sullivan of New York-based Human Rights Watch says her current trip will likely be the last, and adds: "Let's hope that if we return, this will be a museum memorializing a really shameful chapter in American history."
Defense attorney Brian Mizer — a Navy lieutenant commander — calls the order "a great day for America."
But prosecutor Jeff Groharing said Thursday he hopes the military trials will resume. The Marine major says victims of terrorist attacks "need justice to be done."

The key...within a year. A President can change his mind. If the decision to close goes through it may be a good thing the detention center at GTMO is a large drain on military resources. Also as reported earlier President Obama met with military leaders prior to the release of the draft.

Things have changed over the years. But the theory is you could send them anyplace with a US presence, that the flag pole isn't buried in the ground.
Sounds weird, but if you've traveled, you may have noticed two metal posts sticking up out of the ground, that support the flagpole on U.S. bases in foreign countries. The flagpole is buried on U.S. soil, possessions and Embassies.
The easy solution is to send them to someplace under international control, like Antarctica. I mentioned this years ago. By the time every nation gets it's say and the lawyers figure out who's laws or jurisdiction applies, the Terrorists will likely be dead from old age. As a matter of fact, if you don't incarcerate them, you're not responsible for there well being. Take them down there and throw them out of the plane, anybody who is interested can rescue them and have them.
I'll carry the mental images of the people jumping out of the 80th floor windows at the WTC for the rest of my life. Burn or jump seems a little cruel and unusual to me. They really should be judged by their rules, not ours.

Last edited:
Don't send them to Antarctica, I wouldn't want to inflict these arseholes on McMurdo.

Perhaps we should have landfill redirected to build an island in the middle of the North Atlantic for them? Something that - by treaty - doesn't belong to any particular country? And then NATO member nations can provide security to make sure no-one airlifts them off. Or the nations that feel the thread from the Islamic Jihadis - most of Southern and Western Europe should fall under that umbrella.

Or; load them up with Na-pen, get what we can out of them, and then load them up with an OD of morphia or versed.

Don't send them to Antarctica, I wouldn't want to inflict these arseholes on McMurdo.

Perhaps we should have landfill redirected to build an island in the middle of the North Atlantic for them? Something that - by treaty - doesn't belong to any particular country? And then NATO member nations can provide security to make sure no-one airlifts them off. Or the nations that feel the thread from the Islamic Jihadis - most of Southern and Western Europe should fall under that umbrella.

Or; load them up with Na-pen, get what we can out of them, and then load them up with an OD of morphia or versed.

Turn them loose in cuba, kind of a reverse casto thing where he freed all his real criminals and let them take a cruise to the US a few years ago. We need to return the favor.

Turn them loose in cuba, kind of a reverse casto thing where he freed all his real criminals and let them take a cruise to the US a few years ago. We need to return the favor.

Fine by me. Maybe they can all become torcedores as long as we decide to maintain the embargo...

The new govt is going to figure out that what they really need is a military prison to hold prisoners of war that were captured in battle, it just won't be called Guantanamo Bay. The idea that we are going to put these guys in federal civilian prison system is a laugh--AQ would blow up supermax to release KSM and everybody knows it. The govt won't even bring charges against some of them, which means they cannot even be brought to the US in the first place. The result is essentially another military prison that can hold enemy combatants as prisoners of war without charges for indefinite periods, it just won't be Gitmo.

BTW, In the United States, at the end of World War II there were 175 Branch Camps serving 511 Area Camps containing over 425,000 prisoners of war. Do you suppose we gave those people access to the federal court system? Yet according to the leftards we are plumbing new depths of moral outrage by running a POW camp today.

The new govt is going to figure out that what they really need is a military prison to hold prisoners of war that were captured in battle, it just won't be called Guantanamo Bay. The idea that we are going to put these guys in federal civilian prison system is a laugh--AQ would blow up supermax to release KSM and everybody knows it. The govt won't even bring charges against some of them, which means they cannot even be brought to the US in the first place. The result is essentially another military prison that can hold enemy combatants as prisoners of war without charges for indefinite periods, it just won't be Gitmo.

BTW, In the United States, at the end of World War II there were 175 Branch Camps serving 511 Area Camps containing over 425,000 prisoners of war. Do you suppose we gave those people access to the federal court system? Yet according to the leftards we are plumbing new depths of moral outrage by running a POW camp today.

Well said. I still think the extra territorial solution may the best, the grayer the solution the better. Another solution could be an Indian reservation. Especially the Mohawk reservation, which if I remember correctly is both in Canada and the U.S. Or the Yaqui reservation, which is still in the negotiation stage and has been for over a century. It is supposed to be in Mexico and the U.S.
I actually thought the Gitmo solution was a real winner. Some devious SOB sure had his thinking cap on with that one.
I still think the international solution may be the best. Someplace claimed by everybody, maybe the Moon. :)

A side note, my next door neighbor was held in a POW camp in the U.S. during and after WWII. Him and others that I've talked to, have nothing but good things to say about there incarceration in the U.S. It turned out to be a real winner for American-German relations. The main difference between them and the current detainees, was most anything after the Russian front was an improvement. Almost universally they were thoroughly whipped.

I also talked to a bunch of guys that were held in Siberia for almost a decade after WWII. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, many of these guy are nearing 90 now.

As far as German and Italian POW's were concerned, many of them worked jobs while they were POW's here. I know they had one camp in NJ that supplied workers to the dozen breweries that were in the Newark area. They got to keep what they earned too, most did not want to go back to Germany after WWII and stayed here. The hard cases, SS and SA though got sent to camps out west in the middle of nowhere. The sad part is we treated those POW's better than we treated our interned US citizens that were of Japanese descent as far as that went, most of them lost their homes and business's as a result of internment.

they should build a big friggin fence around Ground Zero and put them in the middle.

It won't be long, they'll be giving personal interviews for millions of dollars on CNN. They will also be sending money to Barracks pocketbook.

BOB

Back