• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blown oil filter/damage

chedisme

NAXJA Member
So I got my rig back from my mechanic ( I broke some bolts so I had him tap them out) and he said he checked my oil and it was low. so he did an oil change for me, at no charge. on my way home I went no more then a half mile when I heard this spitting sputtering noise. my oil light came on, then off, then on and stayed on. I pulled over right away, shut it off and looked under the front it was pouring oil like crazy. he came and towed it back to the shop. it turns out the gasket on the oil filter had blown out.

so what Im asking is do any of you think my engine could have been damaged from lack of oil. and if so should I hold him responsible?

now when I start it the oil light stays on longer(not much) then all the other lights do on start up, and i think I feel More vibration in my shifter.

I've never heard of that happening....sounds more like when he changed your old filter, the gasket from the old filter stuck on there and it "double gasketed".....

That sucks. Never had anything like that in 40 years of changing oil. Although the last oil change on my Jeep, the gasket from the filter did stick on the engine. When I looked at the filter, I noticed the gasket was gone. Probably was wrong filter though. Heard it happened to someone with a XK who used a metric filter thread or visa versa and gasket didn't tighten down right. He blew out all his oil and didn't catch it right away. Jeep still ran for years, but he thought it was a lot noisier.

Thing is you should always run the motor a little and look underneath for dripping. And always look at the new filter carefully and visually compare it to the one coming off.

I took my Jeep to get the oil changed right after I bought it and as I was driving home I noticed a crap ton of smoke coming out behind me, and no oil pressure... sure enough the guy put the wrong filter on.

I had a mechanic check it out afterwards on the oil shop's dime. The mechanic found no issues.

Everytime I've changed the oil on my Cherokee the old gasket has stayed on there, and I've had to pull it off. It wouldn't suprise me if that was the case. To answer the OP's question, I doubt you did any damage as fast as you pulled over. You definately did the right thing. I've seen cars get beat on with no oil and last an amazingly long time. You'll be fine.

I've double gasketed. Annoying to lose 6 new quarts just outside the garage door. I've also ran almost five miles on 1 quart. If it doesn't overheat, and it was just a few hundred feet, no problem.

Frams tended to come off quite a bit.

Agree with that. I have used many, many different brands of oil filters through the years and have seen the gaskets on Fram filters break loose from the filter body more than any other brand.

thats funny because I always use fram. and this is the first time a different filter was used and a failure occurred.

thats funny because I always use fram. and this is the first time a different filter was used and a failure occurred.

I stopped using them when the cans separated from the base and two of the rings on two others stuck on. That was around 90-92, switched to purolator then to Mobil-1's.

So I got my rig back from my mechanic ( I broke some bolts so I had him tap them out) and he said he checked my oil and it was low. so he did an oil change for me, at no charge. on my way home I went no more then a half mile when I heard this spitting sputtering noise. my oil light came on, then off, then on and stayed on. I pulled over right away, shut it off and looked under the front it was pouring oil like crazy. he came and towed it back to the shop. it turns out the gasket on the oil filter had blown out.

so what Im asking is do any of you think my engine could have been damaged from lack of oil. and if so should I hold him responsible?

now when I start it the oil light stays on longer(not much) then all the other lights do on start up, and i think I feel More vibration in my shifter.
I agree that there was no damage to the engine. You caught it quickly, and even with no oil pressure, there was still an oil film on the bearing surfaces.

The oil light staying on longer is probably just normal paranoia, as is the vibration. It's easy to imagine all sorts of stuff when something like that happens.....

I had the double gasket filter thing happen to me. Luckily my wife was standing outside and saw the oil pouring out of the jeep. Sucks but it happens. I always double check it now.

I've never heard of that happening....sounds more like when he changed your old filter, the gasket from the old filter stuck on there and it "double gasketed".....

X a billion, thats the only way that could happen unless the gasket was bad to begin with.

Your engine should be fine but I would find a more competent mechanic.

I just had a similar problem on my YJ. the PCV vent clogged and pressurized my valve cover and blow out my oil filter gasket. I changed it with a puralotor and have had no issues. Does the oil pressure gauge sit at the same point at idle

the PCV vent clogged and pressurized my valve cover and blow out my oil filter gasket

Anyone want to tackle that one?

I'll just say I've had the same problem, and wound up replacing every seal on the engine. I don't think the oiling system can be affected, tho.

Anybody?

Maybe just coincidental timing. Bad PCV, old valve cover gasket, and old filter or double filter gasket at the same time?
Dunno.

Idk cause I have the Idiot lights. but some times when id slow down from a high speed the light would come on. like getting off the high way. and some time when im off road and dont give it enough gas and bog the engin a little the light also would come on. but only very briefly.
the pcv vent is the hose that connects the valve cover to the air intake right?

Back