• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding Power Options

jnance

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '97 Cherokee Sport and found a good donor I can get power door locks, windows, and the interior door panels from. I'm wondering if anyone has done this and has any tips on putting in the actuators/motors - I've never done either. I believe all the wiring is there - I've had the door panels off before - just never actually removed or added anything to the inside of the door. Help?

Also, I have an extra working overhead console for a '97 if anyone is interested.

I believe in most newer vehicles the connectons are there, just a matter of plug and "pray" But you should be able to swap the actualtors and linkage,etc. into your doors.

i added power windows to my 89, but i bought a kit that had everything i needed. only advise i can give is that you need to drill out the rivots that hold the manual regulators in place. use bolts and nylon lock nuts to hold the new window regulators in place. if you get everything you need for the swap, its just a simple remove and replace swap. i would take digital pictures of how everything is put togehter in the donor to use as a reference.

I replaced all my rivets with hardware, it's time consuming but doable. There is a technique and some developed skill that makes it go faster. Basically you want to use a small punch to knock the center pin out of the rivet, then use a drill to eat out the aluminum ring. Do not try to drill the rivet out or else the bit will skip off the hard center pin and you'll get offset hole through the rivet, door panel, and the actuator mount.

For hardware, I used 1/4" torx screws, rubber washer between the door sheet metal and item being secured, and a toothed lock nut on the back. The rubber washer prevents rattling from vibrations. The toothed nut tightens itself against whatever it's next to when the screw is drawn up, but is loose enough to hold/spin with finger pressure until then.

Rivets.sized.jpg

Rivet_Replacements.sized.jpg

Rivets_Replaced.sized.jpg

It's easiest to do this while the doors are off and laying on their side

Back