• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will nv242 From Liberty work?

JoshRountree

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched, and searched, and searched. Now I'm asking.

I know the input spline count changed around '91, and the tail cone switched to a sealed unit around '96. I've got a 1998 and trying to find out what works. Will the 242 from a Liberty work, are the output shafts compatible? Does the Liberty 242 even have an output shaft, or just a flange?

If there is a thread already on this, you are a better searcher than I...

Thanks

Verify the spline count, but it's probably 23-sp. The mounting pattern should be the same (all of the NP/NVG 'cases use the D300 mounting pattern - it became the standard,) so that's not a problem.

Tcase output shafts don't really need to be "compatible" - you just swap the driveshaft. Since it sounds like you're looking at an output flange instead of a slip yoke, you'll need to swap the driveshaft anyhow - since you'll need the slip joint in the middle of the shaft instead of at the end, and you'll need a mating flange to bolt up to the tcase rear output (if it's flanged.) And, get a double Cardan joint at the transfer case end, then set the transfer case so it's dead level (or very close to it) at the output shaft WRT the ground line (that's how a double Cardan likes to be set up.)

I have been reading about this all day today... there are people that say the liberty np242 is an HD version.. which I believe to be wrong... I am gonna take a ride to the JY down the street and ask if they will let me see the transfer case they have....
I know the 2005 liberty had an option for the nv241 tcase though...

If infact the liberty 242 is an HD version that means it has a 32spline output shaft and possibly no speedo sensor on the tcase.... but they all have 23spline inputs....

Back