• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Problems

reson46

NAXJA Forum User
I have been having some unusual ignition problems lately. With the ignition in the on position, the radio, HVAC, and turn signals do not always want to work, but I the power windows do. Usually wiggling the key will get everything to come on, but it has started to get quite a bit worse lately. I haven't had any trouble with the key in the accessory position.

Yesterday, I tore apart most of the steering column to try to figure out what the problem is. I removed the ignition and played with all of the mechanisms attached to it in the steering column. They all seemed to work fine. I followed a rod that leads from the ignition down the back of the steering column to what looks like a couple of plastic boxes with a bunch of wiring. From what I can tell, where this rod ends is probably where my problem is, but I wasn't sure where to go from here.

Do I need to replace one of these plastic boxes? Can I take them off and clean them to fix my problem? What are these boxes called?

Thanks for any help,

Can anybody offer some ideas on this?

Thanks,

I had the samething going on years ago. Window worked but nothing else did until the key was in the right spot. It would start but there wouldn't be any lights until that key was in the right spot. Than one day the crank sensor went south, and the key locked in the the on postition. So the deal said I needed to replace the ignition. Well it cost a few bucks, LOL. but it did fix the problem. Just my 2cents, Juice

The rod from your key cylinder operates a switch (looks kinda like this:)
KS6623.jpg

Barring an issue with the cylinder or rod, this is your problem (as is most often the case) Kraagen, Schucks, Checkers etc will carry a replacement in stock (you'll need to know if you have a tilt column or not) look to spend $11 or so for the part.

Satan,

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. I am pretty sure it is that switch. Everything else seems to work fine. Do you happen to know what this switch is called?

Thanks,

Back