• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle u joint wont come out

downhillracer

NAXJA Forum User
89' vac disc dana 30.....

My pass. side 260x grenaded. Pulled the shaft and removed the c clips but Ill be damned if I can get the joint to press out. I've tried the bench vise trick with sockets, I have beat on the caps and tapped on the yokes to try and loosen it. There is minimal rust but I know that doesn't mean its not frozen. I dont have a torch so I havent been able to put heat on it. Im wondering if I should just hit the J/Y and get another shaft but it doesnt seem worth it since I will still have to use the old style joint (dont have time to do the one piece shaft upgrade). Anybody know any tricks or tips before I go waste my money? Thanks guys.

big hammer, and get angry. Im serious.

I have also used a skinny wheel to cut some meat away from u-joints before. it seems kind of crazy but they can be a couple different 4 letter words to get out.

Yep BFH and hit it hard.
The hammer in the link is too small. I broke 2 vices beating mine that way. I ended up using a block of aluminum with a hole in it and a chuck of brass on top of the U-joint Then hit it hard.

Last edited:
Not on an axle, but on the driveshaft, I have cut the cross of the u-joint with a sawzall, and even a cutting torch. Obviously you have to be careful, but cutting the cross maybe an option for you.

Back