• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding Factory Rear Defroster

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wondering if anybody has added a factory rear defroster to their cherokee that didnt originally come with one? What exactly would i need to get out of a junkyard to make this work? Would the wiring already be there, and how would i get the defroster grids on the window if i already have tint. If anyone knows, or knows how the wiring works maybe i could get a nice rear defroster in my cherokee. Thanks.

88 Cherokee 4.0

I just finished this on my '96. Got the glass first at a Pull-n Save. All the wiring is already installed in the Jeep. They (Jeep) just used one wiring harness, for the most part.

Found another donor for the switch in the dash. I grabbed one with the fog light switch, too, but there are some with just the defogger switch. Again, all the wiring is under the dash. I think mine was taped up, but it's obvious which wires plug into the switch. It's on the left side of the steering column.

For the '96 (and maybe other years??), the relay is bright red, and it's called a smart relay. They're about $40 -$50 at the parts stores...They gave it to me for free at the Pull-n-Save when I tired to pay for it. The relay center is under the dash, slightly off center of the steering column

Put the proper amp fuse in your fuse box, and you should be set. Mine works just fine, though the bulb is burned out behind the switch to show that it's on. No biggie, I'll get to it next time the dash is out.

Good luck,

Steve

On my 88 the wires where not there.
But all the wires are make a little sub harness in the main wiring harness, you have to extract them from the main harness if you take your time, there is no need to cut the wires.
Even though my 88 didn't have wires for the front part for the switch and all that, it still had the rest of the wiring from the left kick panel all the way back to the rear hatch. All I had to do is get a window that had the wires on the glass and put it into the rear hatch.
If you dig up a FSM and go look for the wiring you can see it only about 5 wires, 2 of which come from the fuse block terminal, a few grounds and the wires leading to the left kick panel.
Or if you don't want to mess around that way you could find the right wiring harness from an XJ and just pull it out and swap the front, I'd sugest a 90 they seem to be wired with all the option the majority of the time. Atleast the ones i run into in the junkyards do.
good luck

Thanks for your reply's guys i was hoping that i wouldnt have to change the glass out, but apparently thats what ill have to do. My windows are tinted and dont want to pay to have the back re-tinted that would be too mucg money for me. If i didnt have tinted windows, i would have done this. Thanks for the info guys.

There are aftermarket kits available that have self stick panels with the heating elements. I don't know how well they will work if you already have window tint film on them.

Here is one link, Google for more.

http://www.frostfighter.com/ff_pdt_2600.htm

I found the quick-connect plugs in each side of my rear hatch, and that is for the defroster, but why in the world is no wiring harness in place in the dash?? I would think its all or nothing?? Does anyone know where the harness would be for the switch? I have had my dash apart before, and no dice. TIA.

Back